Cackling Goose??

  • Sandy Gerber
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2012
    Taken in a big hay field 15 Dec near Kootenai River.  As you can see, next to a "normal size" Canada, these guys are quite small.

    Sandy
  • Radd Icenoggle
    Message 2 of 3 , Dec 22, 2012
      Unfortunately, I think that it is a small Lesser Canada Goose (B. c. parvipes) based on the bill and head morphology. The bill seems too large in relation to the head, and the apparent angle of the forehead does fit the Cackling Goose. In Cackling Geese the bill should appear rather stubby and forehead appears very steep from the base of the bill. Just my two cents.

      On Dec 22, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Sandy Gerber <uscggirly@...> wrote:

      Taken in a big hay field 15 Dec near Kootenai River.  As you can see, next to a "normal size" Canada, these guys are quite small.

      Sandy

    • Forrest Rowland
      Message 3 of 3 , Dec 23, 2012
        MOB,

        I agree with Radd. A Lesser-type Canada Goose would fit this bird fine.

        Good Birding,

        Forrest Rowland
        Livingston, MT