Great Gray Owl

  • paul rossi
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 34 KB
    My good friend, Brett Fisher, saw a Great Gray Owl today about 3/4 of a mile north of Dayton on Highway 93.

    Paul Rossi
    Missoula/Columbia Falls

    To: MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com
    From: susanella@...
    Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 23:22:23 +0000
    Subject: [MOB-Montana] Today's action from the Missouri River

    Today was so much colder with a fine snow falling for most of the day here on the Missouri River between Hardy and Craig. The sun tried to come out a few times and cast some shadows on the 15 inches or so of snow. My list begins with some sightings during heavy snow yesterday, November 9:

    Northern Harrier (2 circling each other as they flew south in heavy snow)
    Snow Geese -- hundreds if not a thousand or more altogether, the sound was amazing

    Today, November 10 and just 9 degrees outside:

    Trumpeter Swan - 30 +
    Bald Eagle - 1 juvenile
    Common Raven - 2
    Mallard - 8
    European Starling - huge flocks circling and moving in their "cloud"
    American Coot - 1 hanging out with the Canada Geese -- I was so surprised to see it I set up my scope to be sure.
    Canada Geese - migrating south by the hundreds and at least 60 settled on the river
    and all the species reported yesterday continue to eat all the seed as fast as I can put it out.

    Susie Maclin
    near mile marker 22, Recreation Road south of Exit 244 between Hardy and Craig

    Message 2 of 3 , Nov 21, 2012
      MOB-sters:

      I'm sorry to report that Doug and Rebecca Mead found this owl in the middle of highway 93 near Rollins today, with a broken wing. It has been brought to a rehabber in Whitefish.