Ft. Peck sightings

  • Chuck Carlson
    Message 1 of 57 , Jun 4, 2006
      Mobsters

      A couple of interesting sightings this morning: While getting ready to leave for Glasgow at about 5:15 a.m. I heard a Black-billed Cuckoo calling from a distance south of the front yard. Then during the field trip at Ft. Peck an honest-to-goodness Rough-legged Hawk was found soaring over the group! Ed Harper was able to get some photos of the bird.

      By the way the Audubon Bird Festival/Glasgow Feather Fest went off quite well, at least according to the comments I heard. At least 135 people attended. Many other birds were seen of course, but these were among the most interesting. Quite a few people were able to get lifers. We have yet to hear about the Culbertson/Medicine Lake/Westby trip results.

      Chuck Carlson
      Ft. Peck  MT

    • Chuck Carlson
      Message 57 of 57 , Sep 23, 2007
        Mobsters

        I was crossing the dam here this afternoon and saw a lot of Western Grebes on the lake. I scoped the lake and was able to count 500 from one spot on the dam. There many more. The birds were scattered over the surface with no concentrations in any one place. Some were close in and there were others as so far out that I could just make them out. I have had fisherman tell me that they have traveled for miles on the lake and the birds were just as thick all along the trip as when they started.

        Also saw what I assume will be my last Common Yellowthroat of the year near the Winter Harbor. The yard has been fairly busy whenever the Sharpie isn't in the area, but it has been quiet for a lot of the day. Nothing of note lately, except I had to take the sapsucker sp. off the yard list. I was able to replace it though with a definite Yellow-bellied Sapsucker juvenile.

        There are still near 100 Am. White Pelicans on the river and a lot of Ring-billed Gulls. There are only a few Franklin's Gulls left. No winter gulls yet, it's a bit early.

        Chuck Carlson
        Ft. Peck  MT