Early birds? - Gray Crowned Rosy Finch's

  • mike vennard
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
      Out hunting yesterday about 15 miles north of White Sulphur Springs in the Little Belt mountains and came across a bunch of Grey Crowned Rosy Finches, 150 estimate. Is this a bit unusual for this time of year? I normally see them well after the snow has been on the ground for a month or so.
      Mike Vennard
    • Peggy Joki
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
        MOB, MIke

        We had our first of the fall gray-crowned rosy finch on Oct 27 this year.  Do not usually see them until mid-Nov.
        Last winter we had flocks of 500+.

        Peggy Joki
        Fishtail
      • buccraig
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
          I saw one, also while hunting near Silver Star, last week.
          B. Ballou Silver Star, MT

          --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "mike vennard" <vennard@...> wrote:

          > Out hunting yesterday about 15 miles north of White Sulphur Springs in the Little Belt mountains and came across a bunch of Grey Crowned Rosy Finches, 150 estimate. Is this a bit unusual for this time of year? I normally see them well after the snow has been on the ground for a month or so.
          > Mike Vennard

        • Jim Rogers

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
              And I had a report of a group that had already arrived at their winter feeder October 29th (between Ulm-Cascade)
              Beth Hill
              Great Falls
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
                MOB-sters:

                We had our first large flocks of Rosy-Finches at the Jewel Basin hawk watch 4-6 October. While that is a fairy high-elevation site (7100'), they were clearly on the move. We had only singles earlier in the season.

                --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, Beth Hill <grizhill@...> wrote:

                > And I had a report of a group that had already arrived at their winter
                > feeder October 29th (between Ulm-Cascade)
                > Beth Hill
                > Great Falls

              • Chuck Carlson
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
                  Dan

                  Were there any fairies?

                  Chuck Carlson
                  Ft. Peck

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
                    Chuck et al:

                    You got me. The older I get, the more typos I seem to include in my communications.

                    Goob Briding,

                    --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Carlson" <chuckcmt@...> wrote:

                    > Dan
                    >
                    > Were there any fairies?
                    >
                    > Chuck Carlson
                    > Ft. Peck

                  • Kitty & Kris
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
                      We had 6 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch in our yard on Oct. 29.  That is the earliest that I can remember seeing them here.  We had them at the feeders on Nov. 19, 2011 and Dec. thru March in 08, 09 and10.

                      Kitty & Kris Knaphus
                      9 miles South of Ulm