WS WMA Today

  • Gary Swant
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2012
      It was very warm today and the bird numbers were up at Warm Springs. We have are first large number of Snow Geese today with an estimated 1,850. I also estimated we had more than 3,200 Tundra Swans.

      Mallards and American Wigeons were up also with more than 2,500 for both species.

      Shore bird numbers were good for the last day of October with 1 Killdeer, 8 Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Pectorals, 2 Dunlin, 2 Stilt Sandpipers, and 34 Long-billed Dowitchers. The Dunlin are a real surprise. Dunlins are fairly rare in our valley and we had 5 on October 20 and have had one or two each time I have gone out since.
      I also found 4 Bonaparte's Gulls which seems late.

      There were 2 Surf Scoters today, but I have not seen a White-winged yet. I have seen Black at WS WMA once, but they are very rare.

      Coots were in large numbers as always with more than 14,000.

      Gary Swant
      Deer Lodge