Magpie/ Collared Dove interaction

  • Steve Sherman
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2012
      For the last 4 or 5 days I have had three Magpies and a lone Collared Dove chasing each other around the yard. It does not appear to be a territorial disputed –if in fact they will defend a territory from each other- but more like a game. At times the Magpies will be chasing the Dove than the Dove will chase the Magpies. Has any one else seen a similar action?
      Mid week last week I saw a immature Goshawk chasing a flock of Robins on a sagebrush flat. The Goshawk was not successful.
      Steve Sherman
      Dillon
    • Grace Blair
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2012
        Steve
        Magpies love to "play with/harass" other birds and even mammals.  I expect that is what is happening and the poor doves are just trying to let the magpies know that they don't appreciate the "game". I have seen magpies torment kestrels, grey partridge, doves, calves, jack rabbits, Richardson's ground squirrels, and dogs. I have watched calves chasing magpies after the birds had a session of tormenting the bovines.  Magpies are very naughty and mischevious birds...too smart for their own good! They also eat the eggs and nestlings of other birds so in the spring other birds, especially I have seen red winged black birds, will try to drive the magpies away.
        Grace, Ruby Valley

        Sent from my iPad

        On Oct 1, 2012, at 9:34 AM, "Steve Sherman" <wstevesherman@...> wrote:

        For the last 4 or 5 days I have had three Magpies and a lone Collared Dove chasing each other around the yard. It does not appear to be a territorial disputed –if in fact they will defend a territory from each other- but more like a game. At times the Magpies will be chasing the Dove than the Dove will chase the Magpies. Has any one else seen a similar action?
        Mid week last week I saw a immature Goshawk chasing a flock of Robins on a sagebrush flat. The Goshawk was not successful.
        Steve Sherman
        Dillon

      • Chad Adams
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2012
          This past Tuesday I went home (near the hospital in Helena) at lunch, and heard the magpies making a lot of noise out front. When I went out a group of 15 or so magpies were harassing and killed one of a pair of collared doves that had taken up residence on the street. They subsequently ate it.
          I've seen them kill and eat a robin in the past. My brother watched one stomp on and kill and eat a house finch in his yard. Sometimes I suppose its more than "play."

          --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, Grace Blair <cpoodle@...> wrote:

          > Steve
          > Magpies love to "play with/harass" other birds and even mammals. I expect that is what is happening and the poor doves are just trying to let the magpies know that they don't appreciate the "game". I have seen magpies torment kestrels, grey partridge, doves, calves, jack rabbits, Richardson's ground squirrels, and dogs. I have watched calves chasing magpies after the birds had a session of tormenting the bovines. Magpies are very naughty and mischevious birds...too smart for their own good! They also eat the eggs and nestlings of other birds so in the spring other birds, especially I have seen red winged black birds, will try to drive the magpies away.
          > Grace, Ruby Valley
          >
          > Sent from my iPad
          >
          > On Oct 1, 2012, at 9:34 AM, "Steve Sherman" <wstevesherman@...> wrote:
          >
          > > For the last 4 or 5 days I have had three Magpies and a lone Collared Dove chasing each other around the yard. It does not appear to be a territorial disputed â€"if in fact they will defend a territory from each other- but more like a game. At times the Magpies will be chasing the Dove than the Dove will chase the Magpies. Has any one else seen a similar action?
          > > Mid week last week I saw a immature Goshawk chasing a flock of Robins on a sagebrush flat. The Goshawk was not successful.
          > > Steve Sherman
          > > Dillon

        • Grace L. Blair
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2012
            This morning I have 11 gray partridge in my yard and there are several magpies "stalking" the partridge.  The Ps are busily eating on the ground and the magpies have them surrounded and keep rushing the Ps.  The Ps respond by running at the magpies, but I know the magpies would make a kill if they weren't outnumbered so much!
            Grace