Freezout Sunday AM

  • Michael Schwitters
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 23, 2012
      MOB,
      I gave Freezout Lake a good look for Sid's White-fronted Geese this
      morning, but without success. There are some shorebirds still to be
      found: yellowlegs, Pectoral, Stilt Sandpipers, Long-billed Dowitchers a
      couple Black-bellied Plovers plus killdeer and two American Avocets. An
      adult Trumpeter Swan gave a good look on Pond 3. Duck numbers were
      good...but remember that waterfowl hunting starts this coming weekend
      and a number of the roads on the Area will be closed.
      Mike Schwitters
      Choteau MT
    • Michael Schwitters
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2013
        all,
        Two species to add the the 2013 Freezout Lake bird list this morning...a
        Eurasian Wigeon and three Tundra Swans. Still 3-400 Snow Geese.
        Mike Schwitters
        Choteau MT
      • Michael Schwitters
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
          All,
          Good numbers of Snow Geese...Perhaps 35,000.
          Swan count was also good...3,035.
          Ducks, mostly Northern Pintails were still surprising strong, no count
          but several carpets of ducks, particularly on Pond 2.
          Sunrise estimate of vehicles enjoying the flyout was about 60...nice to
          have you here.
          Mike Schwitters
          Choteau MT
        • Carolyn Hopper
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 25, 2013
            It was awesome!! A great way to spend my birthday! Soul lifting sights -
            Carolyn
          • Steven Hughes
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 26, 2013
              Happy Birthday Carolyn!
              I can't imagine a better way to spend a Spring Birthday.

              Robins are playing grab-ass, flickers crying out and a pair of trumpeters flew right over my head at Mayors Landing the other day. Joyous Springtime!
              Steve Hughes
              Livingston

              --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, Carolyn Hopper <cowgirl@...> wrote:

              > It was awesome!! A great way to spend my birthday! Soul lifting sights -
              > Carolyn

            • Michael Schwitters
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 15, 2015
                Howdy MOB,
                Started the day with a soft snowfall that ended by 10:00AM.
                I found 2,636 Canada Geese...all feeding in fields east of the Lake.
                The first gull of the year was found far out in Pond 4 and an immature
                bird so species remained an unknown. The same 10 Tundra Swans continued.
                Mike Schwitters
                Choteau MT
              • Michael Schwitters
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 27, 2015
                  MOB,
                  The south end of Pond 4 was the best location today (again). The first
                  bird I found in the scope was a/the Sabine's Gull adult. It was joined
                  soon by two juvenile Sabine's (tough to ID until they flew). The
                  Black-bellied Plover count was 18, and the Bonaparte's Gull had found
                  its way to the area. The Snow Geese were not found. A flock of about a
                  dozen White-faced Ibis was at Pond 3.
                  Mike Schwitters
                  Choteau MT
                • Mike Schwitters
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 22, 2016

                    MOB,

                    Bad and good news.  Bad—nearly all shorebirds have gone north.  Good---migrant passerines are moving through.

                    The passerine action was at the “garage grove”.  Basically a small grove in the middle of prairie.  Uncommon (seen once to three times on the Area):  Swainson’s/Hermit Thrush, American Redstart (2 males), a Gray Catbird and Least Flycatcher (likely).  Additionally, there were large numbers (hundreda) of swallows throughout the Area, seen:  Northern Rough-winged, Cliff, Bank and Barn.

                    Mike Schwitters

                    Choteau MT

                  • Mike Schwitters
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 21

                      MOB.

                      During my morning visit to Freezout Lake WMA I was surprised to find Pond 4 loaded with shorebirds.  I saw:

                      Hundreds of phalaropes, mostly Wilson’s but at least 50 Red-necked.

                      Lots of Avocets

                      A Willet

                      2 Stilt Sandpipers (FOY)

                      16 Least Sandpipers

                      Semipalmated Sandpipers (lots)

                      2 Dunlin

                      A good number of Long-billed Dowitchers

                      3 Semipalmated Plovers

                      A good number of Sanderlings…almost red headed this time of year (FOY)

                      Killdeer

                      Still two Trumpeter Swans in Pond 6 and in the Garage Grove a hummingbird ( could not get a good look) Never seen a hummer at Freezout.

                      Mike Schwitters

                      Choteau MT