Birds and Early Fall/Winter predictions

  • martinvanburenbell
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2012
      So, the first day of summer was also the first day of fall migration according to one message and a few people seem surprised to have some early migrators elsewhere. We have had Evening Grosbeaks all over the place for a week now which is early.
      Any science or quasi-science that can tie birds and seasons together?
      Martin Bell
      Hamilton
      P.S. If the answer is yes just lie and say no. Not ready yet.
    • Merle Ann Loman
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2012

        Martin, we have tons of Evening Grosbeaks, too. The eat the chokecherries and then come to our birdfeeders for sunnies. They look like they have been eating red meat, but I see them on the chokecherry bushes and watch the juice drip on their chests. Hilarious and fun.

        I have also seen Wilson's Warblers (we are next to Bear Creek and have a LOT of totally undisturbed riparian area on our ten acres).

        Near Bear Creek Overlook I am seeing many Townsends Warblers. Not sure if they are often there, just that I now know what they are and am seeing them.

        Merle Ann Loman

        Victor, MT