West Bank Terns

  • Arla Eckert
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2012
      I took a fast look at the mud/sand islands off West bank Park 1230ish today.
      It was tern city out there. 1 Caspian and then Common Tern adults and Juv.
      Then what are those, Juv. Forster's Terns along with adults. Lots of
      killdeer and Franklin's Gulls. Arla Eckert Great Falls
    • Beth Hill
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2012
        I've been counting at least a dozen terns on several occasions.  They are zipping around so much there are probably more.  There was a Caspian and at least one young one day.  I've had numbers up to 1000 Franklin Gulls West Bank.  It all depends on time of day and mood of the gulls.  I haven't had the 45 killdeer in one spot - but their numbers have been holding up pretty well, 10 here, another 10 there, 5 there on a single trip.
        The terns are really vocal.  Day AND night.  If you watch a while you will see them getting fed, catching fish, getting chased by gulls or another tern when they have a fish.  I saw one feed a youngster without sitting down - it just hovered - poked and took off.  Quite the show.
        Beth Hill
        Great Falls