Long-eared Owl in Helena

  • birder_bob
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2012
      All:

      I recently received a report and good photos of a Long-eared Owl in a residential area in Helena. Unfortunately, it was a short timer and I did not get an opportunity to view it. I think this would be the first observation of this species in this latilong since prior to 1995. They are certainly more common west of the divide.

      Bob Martinka
    • Chad Adams
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2012
        Bob -- We found a long eared owl in May 2010 that had been hit by a car on 6th avenue near the capitol building. We took a couple of photos since, as you said, we don't see many LEO in this area, and then took the dead owl to the FWP.
        Chad Adams

        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "birder_bob" <birder_bob@...> wrote:

        > All:
        >
        > I recently received a report and good photos of a Long-eared Owl in a residential area in Helena. Unfortunately, it was a short timer and I did not get an opportunity to view it. I think this would be the first observation of this species in this latilong since prior to 1995. They are certainly more common west of the divide.
        >
        > Bob Martinka

      • Kristi DuBois
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2012
          Hi Birders,

          I am posting this request for observations on behalf of the Montana Loon Working Group.  Some of our Montana breeding loons have color leg bands in addition to the USFWS metal bands.  Even if you don't see any color bands or can't get a band number, reporting a banded bird is helpful.  Observations of single birds are useful, in addition to flocks.  It would also be helpful to report if the bird is in breeding plumage, or a molting adult, or a hatch year bird (if you can get a good enough look to tell).

          The request for information and contact of where to email your observations is listed below.

          Thank you very much for your help!

          Kristi DuBois
          Missoula

          Reports of Migrating Loons Wanted!

          The Montana Common Loon Working Group is looking for observations of migrating loons across the state!  Please send any observation locations and dates to Chris Hammond, Region 1, Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks at chammond@....  Let us know if you saw any bands on the legs of the loons.  Thank you!