Re: [MOB-Montana] Re: Strange sounds from Western Wood-Pewee

  • Joshua Covill
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
      I, too, have witnessed this many many times before.  We have a nesting pair on our property, and when a squirrel or other possible threat got near the nest, the birds would mob it and 'bill-snap' while swarming the squirrel.  Sounds quite jarring!! I am impressed with all that mandible banging the birds don't get slightly disoriented!!

      Joshua Covill
      Columbia Falls

      On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Forrest Rowland <rowbird2005@...> wrote:

      I agree. Sounds like bill snaps I've heard from several tyrannids in Central and South America. Though I've not heard this from Wood-Pewees, the circumstances you describe (confrontation, alarm, or display) are typical for such an observation.

      Good Birding,

      Forrest Rowland

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2012
        Thanks for the interest in the bill snapping recording. It is most helpful to know that others have heard the same thing.

        This time of year, when the birds have quit singing, can produce a multitude of interesting vocalizations from adults and young. I find the rare vocalization as interesting as the rare species.

        Thanks again,

        Bruce