RFI: Western Montana target birds

  • Stevan Hawkins
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2012

      Mobsters:

      Next week I will be up in Montana looking for the following:  American Three-toed Woodpecker, Dusky Grouse, Spruce Grouse, Great Gray Owl, Northern Hawk-Owl, and northern things in general.  Although I plan on doing this at Glacier National Park, a few years ago it seems like someone suggested that I go to Georgetown Lake for Spruce Grouse.  My plan is to go by the Little Big Horn Battle site, because I last visited it in 1958 or 1967, and then head west on IH 90.  In 2009 someone someplace said that taking MT 83 towards West Glacier would be more interesting than taking US 93.  Looking at the map in my road atlas, it looks like MT 83 would also be more birdy than US 93.  Also, does anyone have any ideas about how to bird Glacier NP in some sort of organized way for the birds above?  I wouldn't mind "having" to take the Garden Wall, or something trail, to get digital photographs of Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches, to Hidden Lake take digital photographs of White-tailed Ptarmigans, and a set of rapids upstream along the Going to the Sun Highway and upstream of Lake McDonald for Harlequin Ducks.

      Thanks!

      Steve

      Stevan Hawkins

      San Antonio TX

      210-474-0308 home

      210-722-2017 mobile

    • Gary Swant
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2012
        Steven Hawkins - call me for information - 406-691-0368 on the birds you have listed.

        Gary Swant

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2012

          Gary:

          Will do.

          Need to get out to get a puncture in my truck's catalytic converter repaired, get the oil changed, and truck inspected.  Then I need to talk with a court clerk about my truck passing or failing the truck's overdue inspection.

          Thanks!

          Steve

          Stevan Hawkins

          Activities Committee, member