Roundup Plumbeous Vireo update

  • Mike Lesnik
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2012
      MOB,

      Warming up now at the Roundup Fairgrounds campground after a dead calm, 55 degree Fahrenheit start of my search for a second Plumbeous Vireo nest on the Ponderous Pine, sandstone outcrop, hillside south of the the Roundup Fairgrounds. Yesterday, at 1327, a single fledgling was observed perched on the edge of the previously reported nest. No adults were seen or heard at this time. Today a few faint calls were heard as I approached the nest area at 0700 but it was empty. During the next hour an adult was seen briefly several times within forty or fifty meters of the nest. At 0806 the fledgling was spotted perched about 10 meters southwest of and fifteen feet higher than the nest. Not sure if it was feed at that time but the adult returned at 0812 with a large insect and seemed to bite it into several sections and placed it into the chick's mouth four or five times.

      I decided to stay for the next feeding which I figured might be on a five to ten minute cycle. After a 30 minute lethargic period the fledgling started stretching and preening. At 0930 it made a few soft begging calls to no avail. By 0945 the begs were almost continuous and at 0950 the adult suddenly appeared (may have been a few distant calls during this 1 hour and 37 minute period) and must have told the chick to get with it because it turned around and flew about 25 feet to another tree where it started to hop from branch to branch and I believe was actually catching insects!

      Photos posted in my kayakbird album.

      Will be on the hillside again tomorrow AM looking for a second nest.

      Mike Lesnik
      Musselshell County, Montana