Hummingbirds

  • Gary Swant
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 30, 2012
      I found a Resort in Corum, between Columbia Falls and West Glacier, where they have 9 hummingbird feeders and the owners told me they get 4 species of hummingbirds.

      I went there this evening and they were right. I saw 2 Rufous, 16 Calliope, 12 Black-chinned and 2 Broadtailed. The Calliope and Black-chinned are an estimate. Their resort is very birdy and they would welcome anyone who would like to see the Broadtailed. According to the new MBD book there were no sighting for 02D since 1991. They told me they get them every year and have for years. I guess it is a matter of someone reporting them. The location is the Glacier Mountain Resort in Corum near the Dew Drop Inn. Their names are Gary and Jo-Ann Chilewski, 406-387-5712.

      I don't have email at the moment so if you want to communicate with me do so through MOB.

      Gary Swant
      Deer Lodge
    • ned batchelder
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2012
        Gary,

        Sounds like a FUN place for hummers.  Did you observe 2   male  Broadtailed at the Resort ?

        Ned and Gigi Batchelder

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
          Yes, they were adult males. However, I am aware of two groups who have gone there since and have not seen them. My grandson is here now, so we will try tonight to get him a Broadtail. I will let you know what happens.

          Gary

          --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, ned batchelder <ngbatch@...> wrote:

          > Gary,
          >
          > Sounds like a FUN place for hummers.  Did you observe 2   male  Broadtailed at the Resort ?
          >
          > Ned and Gigi Batchelder

        • Chuck Carlson
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 7, 2012
            Mobsters

            I have posted three photos of hummers that were taken on the 23rd, 24th and 25th of August. During that time we were seeing at least three birds. I went over the IDs of the photos I got numerous times, from Ruby-throated to Black-chinned, back to Ruby-throat. I finally settled on Black-chinned because of the shapes of the last two primaries, compared with photos of Ruby-throats found on the web. Then, on Aug. 4, another hummer appeared, and as it was feeding on flowers it continuously flipped its tail, a trait of Black-chinned. We only saw it for about three minutes and did not get any photos.

            While I am almost certain this last bird was not one of the birds seen in August, it kind of topped off my thinking.

            I am asking anyone who might know Black-chinned better than I do to look over the photos and comment on the identification , right or wrong, that I came to.

            Thanks

            Chuck Carlson
            Ft. Peck

          • tfallsjim
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 7, 2012
              Hi Chuck, et al --They look like Black-chinned. Thanks for posting them! Still hoping for an Anna's here -- Jim Greaves, Thompson Falls

              --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Carlson" <chuckcmt@...> wrote:

              > Mobsters
              >
              > I have posted three photos of hummers that were taken on the 23rd, 24th and 25th of August. During that time we were seeing at least three birds. I went over the IDs of the photos I got numerous times, from Ruby-throated to Black-chinned, back to Ruby-throat. I finally settled on Black-chinned because of the shapes of the last two primaries, compared with photos of Ruby-throats found on the web. Then, on Aug. 4, another hummer appeared, and as it was feeding on flowers it continuously flipped its tail, a trait of Black-chinned. We only saw it for about three minutes and did not get any photos.
              >
              > While I am almost certain this last bird was not one of the birds seen in August, it kind of topped off my thinking.
              >
              > I am asking anyone who might know Black-chinned better than I do to look over the photos and comment on the identification , right or wrong, that I came to.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Chuck Carlson
              > Ft. Peck

            • Jeff Marks
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 7, 2012
                Hi Chuck,

                You should send the photos to Ned and Gigi Batchelder.  I'm not convinced the bird (or birds) is not an immature female Ruby-throated.  You are awfully far east for a group of Black-chinneds, for starters.

                Jeff

                *******************
                Jeff Marks
                4241 SE Liebe Street
                Portland, OR 97206
                503-774-4783
                Birds of Montana Project
                http://mtaudubon.org/
                *******************

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 7, 2012
                    Jeff makes a good point about location. I hadn't considered it; but I had to agree about shape of primaries and bend near the tip which led me to BCHU... opinion only; I would NOT use head and back color as I have several photos showing they are the same on the particular BCHU I photographed (rather than paler on head, which is a "usually" trait, and not always diagnostic). Location location location... - Jim, T Falls

                    --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Marks" <jeff17_marks@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Chuck,
                    >
                    > You should send the photos to Ned and Gigi Batchelder. I'm not convinced the bird (or birds) is not an immature female Ruby-throated. You are awfully far east for a group of Black-chinneds, for starters.
                    >
                    > Jeff
                    >
                    > *******************
                    > Jeff Marks
                    > 4241 SE Liebe Street
                    > Portland, OR 97206
                    > 503-774-4783
                    > Birds of Montana Project
                    > http://mtaudubon.org/<http://mtaudubon.org/>
                    > *******************

                  • tfallsjim
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 7, 2012
                      What I said below, of course is contingent on how much a bend there is in BCHU versus RTHU. My impression of Chuck's photos shows two features better pointing to Ruby-throat: straighter and narrower primaries than BCHU, and there is not a sharp angle at the tip. So I would likely go to Ruby-throated for the photographed bird, despite the description of tail pumping for one not photographed - too bad not got both together at perch! Jim, T Falls

                      --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "tfallsjim" <tfallsjim@...> wrote:

                      > Jeff makes a good point about location. I hadn't considered it; but I had to agree about shape of primaries and bend near the tip which led me to BCHU... opinion only; I would NOT use head and back color as I have several photos showing they are the same on the particular BCHU I photographed (rather than paler on head, which is a "usually" trait, and not always diagnostic). Location location location... - Jim, T Falls
                      >
                      > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Marks" <jeff17_marks@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Chuck,
                      > >
                      > > You should send the photos to Ned and Gigi Batchelder. I'm not convinced the bird (or birds) is not an immature female Ruby-throated. You are awfully far east for a group of Black-chinneds, for starters.
                      > >
                      > > Jeff
                      > >
                      > > *******************
                      > > Jeff Marks
                      > > 4241 SE Liebe Street
                      > > Portland, OR 97206
                      > > 503-774-4783
                      > > Birds of Montana Project
                      > > http://mtaudubon.org/<http://mtaudubon.org/>
                      > > *******************

                    • Chuck Carlson
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 9, 2012
                        Jeff and all

                        I’ll have to accept the ID of the hummer(s) that I posted, since I wasn’t all that convinced myself. But I will post a shot of a male Ruby-throat I took in ‘07 that I used as a comparison. Note the extremely narrow primaries on it compared with this year’s bird. Since this one is an adult male perhaps the primaries are worn from a season’s activity. I think they molt on the wintering grounds.

                        Oh well, a mistake made is a lesson learned, or should be.

                        Chuck Carlson
                        Ft. Peck

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 9, 2013
                          I spent this evening at Glacier Mountain Resort in Hungry Horse.
                          They had 20 or more Calliope and Rufous each. Also
                          6 or more Black-chinned. Several Cassin's Finches as well.
                          Gary Swant
                          Deer Lodge
                        • Leo Libby
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 29
                            Hello, I had a male Rufous and a female Calliope Hummingbird at my feeders today just west of Kalispell. Leo
                          • Ben Deeble
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 30
                              FOY Calliope for me in Missoula's Target Range last evening