Re: [MOB-Montana] Re: Flathead Valley Birds - Cordilleran Flycatcher and American White Pelicans

  • Joshua Covill
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2012
      After much more research and discussion, I recall that ID as Cordilleran and resubmit as a Hammond's Flycatcher.  :) thanks to all who challenged the ID!
      This is one of the fun parts about birds and birding. Always learning and having such great resources now with internet that makes positive identifications more accurate!  I tracked the discussion of the Elaenia sp. on Facebook and it seems that Facebook played a strong role in the ID of that marvolous find!

      Also, later that day of the Empid, I found a leucistic Wild Turkey and heard a Ruffed Grouse drumming!

      Good Luck Birding
      Josh

      On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Dan Casey <danielcasey55@...> wrote:

      Josh:

      Glad to know that you checked over the flycatcher to eliminate Elaenia (given recent events in Chicago);-). But did you really eliminate the much more likely earlier Empids, Hammond's or Dusky? Cordilleran is generally a month later, the last to arrive before Willow.

      I know it's flogging a dead horse, but the long-distance, late-arriving migrants are just much less flexible in their arrival times. They simply have further to travel, and need more time to fuel up for their journey. That does not mean there are not exceptional individuals, but I think we need to carefully document any reports of the latest migrants that show up a month or more early.

      You can respond off-list if you prefer.

      Dan