May visit to northern Montana

  • robert_kuntz@nps.gov
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2012
      Hello,

      I will be visiting Montana 19-23 May. Planning on going to Freezeout,
      Benton Lake, Bowdoin, Ft. Peck, and Medicine Lake along US-2. I have done
      this trip several times and always miss Mountain Plover and McCown's
      Longspur. Does anyone know any dependable locations for these species along
      that route. If you are willing to share I would very much like to see these
      two species. Also, several years ago on another trip through Montana I
      birded Westby. Met and birded with a very friendly and knowledgeable local
      birder named Ted Nordhagen. It seems like he, or someone else, mentioned
      that the excellent local park was going to be impacted by tree removal. I
      have noticed this site is now seldom mentioned in the daily MOB reports. Is
      this still a site worth visiting or, like so many other places, is it not
      as good as it use to be?

      Thanks for any help, Please reply off line to <annebobkuntz@...> or
      <robert_kuntz@...>

      Robert C. Kuntz II
      Wildlife Biologist
      North Cascades National Park
      810 State Route 20
      Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
      (360) 854-7320
      robert_kuntz@...
    • Mike Lesnik
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2012
        > ----mentioned that the excellent local park was going to be impacted by tree removal. I have noticed this site is now seldom mentioned in the daily MOB reports. Is
        > this still a site worth visiting or -----

        Westby has a lot of great birding habitat besides the city park - grassland all around, mud flats and ponds both sides of the North Dakota border, nearby Plentywood and so on. I suspect that reports of exotic Eastern Warblers will start rolling in before I get there in a couple of weeks.

        Mike Lesnik