Great-tailed Grackle

  • John Carlson
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 10, 2012
      I had a few minutes in between meetings today to check out the grackle location in Bozeman. Unfortunately I was unable to located the bird in the blowing snow during the 5 minutes I had to look. Has the bird been located at all recently?

      John Carlson
      Billings, MT
      jccarlson@...
      www.prairieice.blogspot.com
      http://www.pbase.com/mccownii

      Surfbirds.com - The World Birding Website
    • Byron Butler

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 10, 2012
          Thanks Byron.

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 11, 2012
            I checked the Mall parking lot at about 3:30PM, and fortunately I was able to briefly spot the grackle on the east side of the parking lot as I pulled in. I could not relocate it due to the parking lot being very full and busy. It was with two Magpies when I saw it.

            At our feeders south of town, two or three Pine Siskins arrived 2-3 weeks ago. Now, we have close to a hundred. We still have 15-20 Evening Grosbeaks visiting daily.

            Tamie Parker
            Bozeman, MT
          • vireoman2004
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 11, 2012
              So, YOU have all OUR Grosbeaks from last year! We've had all of two this whole winter; hundreds in past two years... 4 Common Redpolls at our place today, with 100++ siskins... Jim and Lark, Thompson Falls

              --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "jparkerll38" <conundrum@...> wrote:

              > I checked the Mall parking lot at about 3:30PM, and fortunately I was able to briefly spot the grackle on the east side of the parking lot as I pulled in. I could not relocate it due to the parking lot being very full and busy. It was with two Magpies when I saw it.
              >
              > At our feeders south of town, two or three Pine Siskins arrived 2-3 weeks ago. Now, we have close to a hundred. We still have 15-20 Evening Grosbeaks visiting daily.
              >
              > Tamie Parker
              > Bozeman, MT

            • Jcs
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 11, 2012
                We have about a dozen grosbeaks and up to about 80 siskins and two redpolls in Sharon
                Janet Stevens in Evaro

                Sent from my Verizon Wireless smartphone
              • Gary Swant
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 20, 2012
                  I drove over to Bozeman today and got the Great-tailed Grackle within 10 minutes of being in the Mall parking lot. It was by itself and feeding on food scraps on the asphalt.

                  Gary Swant
                  Deer Lodge
                • pajaros0422
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 3, 2012

                    Greetings Mobsters

                    On Thursday March 1 at 1430 the Great-tailed Grackle heralded our return to Bozeman with a loud enthusiastic screeching song.  It was perched in an aspen with its two magpie buddies immediately next to Taco Bell and directly over the sign stating Gallatin Valley Mall.  Now to see the cardinal….

                    Robin Wolcott

                    Bozeman , MT

                  • steel_rsd
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 16, 2013
                      I understand the Great-tailed Grackle has been seen several times near Gallatin Valley Mall. Anybody know specific time/place to see it?
                    • redcrossbill
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 17, 2013
                        I saw him today in a tree to the left of the front entrance to Gallatin Valley Mall at 15:00.

                        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "steel_rsd" <steel_rsd@...> wrote:

                        > I understand the Great-tailed Grackle has been seen several times near Gallatin Valley Mall. Anybody know specific time/place to see it?

                      • birderdebrasch
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 24, 2013
                          The great-tailed grackle was in a pine tree at Taco Bell; Bozeman Mall this morning.
                          Debbie Schwartznau
                          Huson, MT
                        • jparkerll38
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 9, 2014
                            That's funny Scott, my wife just got home from work (on College, across from the mall) and told me that she'd seen the grackle early this afternoon.  It was in a willow above the ditch directly across from the Chronicle.

                            I've looked around the mall and the Bozeman Ponds, a half dozen times or so, this fall and winter without seeing the grackle.  I know others have looked on occasion, too.  The last time I saw the grackle was May 24, 2013

                            John Parker
                            Bozeman
                          • Jeff
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 9, 2014

                              Good to know John. Thanks.

                              Jeff

                              *******************
                              Jeff Marks
                              4241 SE Liebe Street
                              Portland, OR 97206
                              503-774-4783
                              Birds of Montana Project
                              http://mtaudubon.org/
                              *******************

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 9, 2014

                                I actually didn't see him last year despite several attempts.  Today's sighting was accidental as I noticed him sitting on top of a car as I was leaving the parking lot.  I'm sure more sightings are imminent.  Scott

                              • Robin
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 15, 2014

                                  Hi Mobsters

                                  When Richard and I began the first of our many checklists for the GBBC today, we were surprised to relocate the Taco Bell Great-tailed Grackle at the MSU Ag Station here in Bozeman .  Apparently he has traded in his French fry diet for a more heart healthy menu of recycled alfalfa!

                                  His photo can be seen on my Flickr page at https://www.flickr.com/photos/105305796@N08/12552821064/in/photostream/

                                  Cheers and good birding for the GREAT (GLOBAL) BACKYARD BIRD COUNT!!!

                                  Robin Wolcott

                                  Bozeman