Osprey, Ruffed Grouse - Sanders County

  • vireoman2004
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2012
      Lark and another driver (semi-truck) had to dodge around a Ruffed Grouse that was "sitting" in the road about a mile east of Thompson River bridge (4 miles or so east of Thompson Falls) on Thursday. On Friday, Lark and another person (independently and different locations), and I (probably simultaneously) heard an Osprey calling for about a minute at mid-afternoon in town in vicinity the RR station in Thompson Falls. Glare in sky and gusty winds made it hard to see, so I never confirmed by sight (ears okay however!). FOY for us here -- Jim Greaves
    • Jeff Marks
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2012
        Jim,

        Regarding your Osprey, did you actually see a large raptor overhead and hear an Osprey, or did you hear an Osprey but not see anything to suggest its presence?  If the former, a very early arrival I guess, if not an overwintering bird.  If the latter, my money is on starling.

        Jeff

        *******************
        Jeff Marks
        4241 SE Liebe Street
        Portland, OR 97206
        503-774-4783
        Birds of Montana Project
        http://mtaudubon.org/

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2012
          Jim:

          I would also caution that our Blue Jays (who are year-round residents here)do spot on impersonations of both Osprey and Bald Eagle.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2012
            Dan -- Good point! It occurred to me that it might have been "the" Steller's Jay [seems to be only one in our part of town as only one has come to our feed area at a time...]- I heard it doing juvenile Bald Eagle the other day [during time a swarm of eagles was on a kill below our house], and while looking for an eagle in our tree, towards me flew the STJA, uttering its "usual" calls mixed with B.eagle's! As for the osprey, I was a few hundred yards from home at the time of the Osprey 'detection' - and it was heard by 3 people in disparate parts of town, but all within what I think would be a range that one bird [hawk or jay] could have been heard. Sticking with Osprey for now, but keeping open mind as I have not heard "our" jay do anything but flicker and eagle calls, so far, other than its own... - Those pesky corvids! -- Jim Greaves, Thompson Falls