Long-eared Owls

  • Barbara Jaquith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      Happy 2007

      Last night and this morning my son, Paul, challenged our Short-eared Owl sightings. "How are you sure they were not Long-eared Owls, etc". I said, "Yes there are Long-eared Owls in the Dry Creek area as well as Short-eared." We studied Owls at length for the rest of the morning and concluded that we definitely needed to go back there this afternoon. Tim Barksdale, you will remember the willow thicket where you saw the Long-eared a few summers ago. Well, we tromped through there today and found at least two and probably more like 6 Long-eared Owls. There were many old nests, as well.As evening approached, we drove along the valley again to count another 7 Short-eared Owls. After watching the flight pattern of the Long-eared, we were even more confident of our Short-eared Owl ID.

      It was a great day!!! By the way, tromping through a dense willow thicket is a challenge in itself. But, Tim, we didn't have the billion mosquitoes that we put up with when you were here!!!!!

      Barb Jaquith
      Red Lodge