Merlin

  • Mike Lesnik
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2006
      Hi MOB
      At noon today just east of the College and S 3rd intersection in
      Bozeman a Merlin spent at least 10 minutes snacking on a LBB (little
      brown bird) using the top of a power pole as his butcher block.
      Mike
    • paul rossi
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 14, 2012
        Hi, I saw a small flock of starlings fly quickly over the northwest corner of the U of M campus, and I looked up to see a very dark Merlin fly past.  I'm confident calling it a "Black" Merlin.

        Paul Rossi
        Missoula/Columbia Falls
      • Sid Frissell
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9
          At about 11:45 am today, I glanced out the west-facing window of my art studio and noticed a small, compact bird perched near the top of a dead Lombardy Poplar.  This particular tree sits on a prominent ridgeline between the house and the main Bitterroot Valley, so it is a frequently used observation perch for American Kestrels, Northern Flickers, Magpies, and occasionally Northern Shrikes.  This mornings user first made me think, Kestrel or Shrike, because of it's compact body and longish tail.  I spun my scope around and focused on---a male Merlin.  The last Merlin I had seen in this area was in January and February of 2006!

          He was quite far away, but I shot a couple of photos of him "for the record." I'll post them in my MOB album.  I think you can tell it's a Merlin!!??

          Sid Frissell
          Stevensville
        • spartanmt
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 19
            WARNING:  sid, the link you posted to pix of the merlin is actually a link to child porn.  everyone else, don't click!

            shawn richmond, somers
          • Sid Frissell
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 19
              I don't remember adding a link. I just followed the MOB instructions for posting a photo to my album.  Hope I didn't do something to cause this site link to be added.  Sorry all

              Sid Frissell
              Stevensville
              .

              Sent From Sid Frissell's iPad

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 19
                hey, sid:  the link was at the bottom of your post, right under your name/location and right above the line, 'sent from sid frissell's ipad'.  i read your post too quickly and thought the link after your name was to your merlin photos, which it's definitely not.  i don't know how that link got attached to your post to the group, but i just wanted to warn anyone else reading too fast not to click on it.  i do have a screen capture  but darned if i know how to post it in this message thread.  i can't be the only one that sees it, can i?

                shawn r., somers
              • darinnewton
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 19
                  I can definitely see the link as well. Luckily I read the link and didn't click on it.

                  Darin Newton
                  Belle Fourche, SD