Ft. Peck birds

  • Chuck Carlson
    Message 1 of 83 , Nov 6, 2011
      Mobsters

      Our first snowfall of the season occurred last night, along with most of the rest of the state. Common Redpolls arrived several days ago with a single bird in the backyard. A flock of 20 to 25 has been seen near the Dredge Cuts FAS in the past two days.  A female or immature male House Finch has been a regular at the backyard and an adult male shows up occasionally. Seven to 10 Blue Jays arrive every morning for the peanut treats.

      One thing I’ve noticed here this year is that many, if not all, the Eurasian Collared-Doves show the loss of a few to many of the last joint of the toes. These show up as a pink spot at the end of the toe where the claw should be. I had read of this but this is the first time I noticed it.

      Chuck Carlson
      Ft. Peck
    • Chuck Carlson
      Message 83 of 83 , Jan 9
        Mobsters

        The weather for the last two days was too much for the lake and river. With –13 F and little wind the lake is mostly icebound except for far out. The river for about a mile or so below the power plants has frozen over but will likely reopen when the warm spell gets here next week. In the meantime our winter contingent of Common Mergansers has arrived. The flock numbers in the area of 200 to 400. And the coots are all congregated in the same area. All the gulls appear to have left, but I’ll keep checking.

        The Sharp-shinned Hawk is still h(a)unting the back yard. Yesterday it took a Northern Flicker. I did not see the takedown but looked up from the crossword puzzle and there it was belly deep in the fluffy snow with barred feathers sticking out above the snow line. That is a hefty meal for a Sharpie.

        Chuck Carlson
        Ft. Peck