Red Phalarope, 2 scoters, and a Sabine's Gull...great day, huh?

  • Radd Icenoggle
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2011
      Today, Andrew Guttenberg and I made the trip from Bozeman to Silver Lake (near Georgetown Lake) for some scoters, which we did see a number of Surf Scoters and a couple of White-winged Scoters. Several Red-breasted Mergansers were also actively feeding on the lake. As we left the Silver Lake area, we spotted a small shorebird in a small pond at the east end of the lake. The bird turned out to be a Red Phalarope (images in my folder, Radd's Album - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MOB-Montana/photos/album/769690012/pic/list) with a clean pale gray back, stout bill (for a phalarope), and a beefy-appearing body. What a find, we were stoked. At Georgetown Lake, we chanced upon a couple of Herring Gulls and a ton of American Coots and Western Grebes.

      We continued to the Warm Springs WMA, we found several great species;
      15+ Snow Geese
      30+ Bonaparte's Gulls
      A single Sabine's Gull (finally found one this autumn)
      The only target we dipped on Black Scoter. Thanks to Gary Swant for the great directions and advice.

      Radd
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2011
        Radd:

        Great day, indeed! Let me know if you need a rare bird form for that phalarope, which is a state review species. Excellent photos, but the MBRC still wants written documentation.

        Good Birding,
        Dan Casey