Sad Sight: Burdock vs. Birds

  • ashmartens
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2011
      I saw a sad sight yesterday while strolling along the Sourdough trail (searching for the B&W Warbler): I followed a YRWA into the thicket with my binocs. It landed on a burdock burr, and promptly got stuck. The pitiful thing just hung there by it's feet, floundering every couple of seconds trying to get free. I decided that my 3 year old and I had to free it. So, I dove into the thicket and came around the backside of the burdock patch that the bird was stuck in. (In the process, I managed to collect about 50 burrs in my hair, which were not fun to get out!) When I got to the spot, I saw that the YRWA managed to get free. Yay! However, I then turned to see that I was standing next to a dead black-capped chickadee that had perished because it's foot and wing feathers were stuck in a burdock burr. So sad. Has anyone witnessed this before?

      I know that burdock is highly invasive and has spread throughout the Sourdough trail area even since I moved here 1.5 years ago. I did see someone spraying burdock earlier in the summer, and was not too excited about chemicals, but now I think something should be done to help control it. Ideas? Thoughts?

      Thanks,
      Ashley Martens
      Bozeman
    • Dianne C.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2011
        Oh, wow, that us very sad. I didn't know that could happen!

        So I did a quick search:
        Here is an article about burdock and bats, and in it they DO reference articles about birds getting entangled.

        http://ion.uwinnipeg.ca/~cwillis/pdfs/norquay_et_al_2010_bats%20and%20burrs.pdf

        There is quite a long list of bird species ensnared: Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Least Flycatcher, both Kinglets, etc.

        Yes, I don't like herbicides and have a pestcide- free yard but invasive weed control is necessary. If a patch is near a really good small bird habitat, maybe it should be sprayed.

        This article says the burdock was introduced in the east in 1638, quite a while ago.
        I wonder how small animals fair around it in Eurasia - its native range.

        Dianne C., Kimberley, BC

        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "ashmartens" <ashmartens@...> wrote:

        > I saw a sad sight yesterday while strolling along the Sourdough trail (searching for the B&W Warbler): I followed a YRWA into the thicket with my binocs. It landed on a burdock burr, and promptly got stuck. The pitiful thing just hung there by it's feet, floundering every couple of seconds trying to get free. I decided that my 3 year old and I had to free it. So, I dove into the thicket and came around the backside of the burdock patch that the bird was stuck in. (In the process, I managed to collect about 50 burrs in my hair, which were not fun to get out!) When I got to the spot, I saw that the YRWA managed to get free. Yay! However, I then turned to see that I was standing next to a dead black-capped chickadee that had perished because it's foot and wing feathers were stuck in a burdock burr. So sad. Has anyone witnessed this before?
        >
        > I know that burdock is highly invasive and has spread throughout the Sourdough trail area even since I moved here 1.5 years ago. I did see someone spraying burdock earlier in the summer, and was not too excited about chemicals, but now I think something should be done to help control it. Ideas? Thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Ashley Martens
        > Bozeman

      • Dianne C.
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2011
          And here is a link to a news article from this spring

          http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_similkameen/summerlandreview/news/119734039.html

          Dianne C.