Baird's sandpiper identification

  • mike vennard
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
      Mob-folks

      I am Mike Vennard over in Meagher County and although I have been bird watching for several years my aptitude for identifying sandpipers is less than one might want. This afternoon while stopping by the reservoir at Martinsdale among the few birds there were six sandpipers that initially had me flummoxed. Seemingly just a bit larger than regular "peeps" were what might initially be semi palmated but were different. They had a streaked/buffy and sharply cut breast band, black bill and legs, very light eye stripe, and dark feathers extending beyond the tail. I have checked several books and none provide me with any evidence of not being Baird's. I did manage to get pictures which I have posted in the photo section under MikeVennard Photos. Pardon the less than stellar quality as the thunder showers were immanent and it was quite dark. I did photoshop a bit of brightness to brng out the color. Any help in proving me wrong would be appreciated.

      Mike V
      White Sulphur Springs
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
        Mike: Your birds are indeed Baird's Sandpipers, with your description of some key features being spot on: larger than Semipalmated and Least ("peeps"), black bill and legs, buffy streaking, and long wings.

        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "mike vennard" <vennard@...> wrote:

        > Mob-folks
        >
        > I am Mike Vennard over in Meagher County and although I have been bird watching for several years my aptitude for identifying sandpipers is less than one might want. This afternoon while stopping by the reservoir at Martinsdale among the few birds there were six sandpipers that initially had me flummoxed. Seemingly just a bit larger than regular "peeps" were what might initially be semi palmated but were different. They had a streaked/buffy and sharply cut breast band, black bill and legs, very light eye stripe, and dark feathers extending beyond the tail. I have checked several books and none provide me with any evidence of not being Baird's. I did manage to get pictures which I have posted in the photo section under MikeVennard Photos. Pardon the less than stellar quality as the thunder showers were immanent and it was quite dark. I did photoshop a bit of brightness to brng out the color. Any help in proving me wrong would be appreciated.
        >
        > Mike V
        > White Sulphur Springs

      • mike vennard
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2011
          Thank you very much Dan for your conformation. Gives me more confidence in my ID skills. Seems sandpipers [especially small ones] and sparrows are my worst nightmares....
          Mike V
          White Sulphur Springs

          --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Casey" <danielcasey55@...> wrote:

          > Mike: Your birds are indeed Baird's Sandpipers, with your description of some key features being spot on: larger than Semipalmated and Least ("peeps"), black bill and legs, buffy streaking, and long wings.
          >
          > Dan Casey
          > Somers
          >
          > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "mike vennard" <vennard@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Mob-folks
          > >
          > > I am Mike Vennard over in Meagher County and although I have been bird watching for several years my aptitude for identifying sandpipers is less than one might want. This afternoon while stopping by the reservoir at Martinsdale among the few birds there were six sandpipers that initially had me flummoxed. Seemingly just a bit larger than regular "peeps" were what might initially be semi palmated but were different. They had a streaked/buffy and sharply cut breast band, black bill and legs, very light eye stripe, and dark feathers extending beyond the tail. I have checked several books and none provide me with any evidence of not being Baird's. I did manage to get pictures which I have posted in the photo section under MikeVennard Photos. Pardon the less than stellar quality as the thunder showers were immanent and it was quite dark. I did photoshop a bit of brightness to brng out the color. Any help in proving me wrong would be appreciated.
          > >
          > > Mike V
          > > White Sulphur Springs

        • vireoman2004
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2011
            All - I posted a photo of Western next to Baird's for wing extension comparison, and of course overall look to latter, including look for the scalloped back on Baird's, especially fresh fall juveniles (also posted a shot) (my bird has a shorter bill than Mike's, making me think mine was a male - ? ) - Jim, Thompson Falls