Freezout, Benton Lakes and Rocky Mtn. Front

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2 3:21 PM
      Greetings,

      My wife and I recently returned from a 3 day camp at Freezout Lake. We visited Benton Lakes, Giant Springs, Priest Butte Road, and the Choteau Rocky Mountain front area. The sign of a dedicated birder is the willingness to endure 30 million mosquitos to see a hundred birds!

      Highlight birds, for us, were:

      Freezout: Short-eared owls, American Bitterns, nesting Black-necked Stilts, American Avocets with half-grown young, and various grebes and ducks with young.

      Priest Butte Road: Upland Sandpiper

      Benton Lakes: Marbled Godwits, Willets, Chestnut-collared Longspurs, a surprise Barrow's Goldeneye, Loggerhead Shrike, lots of baby Eared Grebes.

      Bellview Road (out of Choteau): Bobolink, Sandhill Cranes, Clark's Nutcracker, Long-billed Curlews, Swainson's Hawk.

      As usual, life birds continue to elude us. No Pine Grosbeaks, Northern Hawk Owls or White-winged Crossbills seen in the montains, but we are happy with over 100 species since late May.

      All of you bird lovers have a Great 4th of July. God bless America!!

      Bob Starks
      Townsend, MT