Gull sighting question

  • Patrick Toomey
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
      MOBstes,
      Do we now have enough substantiation on the Mew Gull that Dan Casey spotted to add it
      to this year's list? On another note, I have not heard any more discussion about Chuck
      Carlson's Lesser Black-backed Gull. Has any decision been reached on that sighting? I have
      not added that one to our list either and need some direction from the group.

      Patrick
      Victor, Montana
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
        Patrick:

        Chuck's Lesser Black-backed Gull has been submitted to the Bird
        Records Committee. It would represent the first state record of the
        species if accepted, but that review is not likely to take place
        until after the beginning of the New Year.

        As for the Mew Gull, I submitted this one to the committee for
        review as well, although it is not a "Review Species" for QLL 2D
        based on the number of previous sightings. I just thought it would
        be good for the committee to go over a record of an immature bird of
        this species (we have few to none).

        It seems to me that review species, particularly those new to the
        state list, have been left off the Big Year list until accepted, so
        it would be consistent at this point to include the Mew Gull but not
        the Lesser Black-backed.

        Obviously, Ancient Murrelet also occurred in the state this year,
        albeit not alive for someone to count. I leave it to you to decide
        if the Big Year list is by ABA rules or represents those
        species "known to have occurred" in the state for the year.

        Dan