Scarcity of Hummingbirds

  • Bob and Mo Rost
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
      I think I know why we don't have as many hummingbirds this year.  Several years ago, Jack Whitney told me that the hummingbirds ride on the backs of migrating geese and thus accomplish the huge trip from here to there and back again.  Well, last fall, great numbers of geese remained here in the valleys and wintered here; thus not providing the opportunity for hitch-hiking as they are used to.  Pretty simple if you put your mind to it.

      Bob Rost - Ronan MT
      (406) 676-4545
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
        MOB-sters:

        Assuming Bob was serious in his post, let me say emphatically that hummingbirds do not hitch rides on geese. Never have, never will.

      • vireoman2004
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
          But I believe it. I don't have to see it! wink wink nod nod - I think the late blooming wildflower postulate is "more likely than not" the best explanation... so far... Jim

          --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Casey" <danielcasey55@...> wrote:

          > MOB-sters:
          >
          > Assuming Bob was serious in his post, let me say emphatically that hummingbirds do not hitch rides on geese. Never have, never will.
          >
          > Dan Casey
          > Somers

        • David Powell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2011
            All;

            I thought that all of our hummingbirds had gone to MT. as we have only about 50% of normal.  Mostly because we haven't seen rain in so long that there are few natural food sources available.  Very few visiting our feeders.

            Albuquerque, NM.
            --
            David Powell, Member NANPA