Re: "Meditating" Great Blue Heron

  • vireoman2004
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2011
      Great photos. I've seen similar poses by GBHE. Perhaps, like some passerines, the heron was exposing feather mites to sun light... In California, I observed Titmice, Blue-gray gnatcatchers and Bell's vireos do something similar, wherein they tilted their heads to the side and raised a wing slightly exposing neck and side of breast to the sun, while "raising feathers" in same areas, especially neck side. I think this has been reported in literature for other species, explained as trying to rid themselves of mite infestations. Or they just had one of those headaches we cannot imagine them having, but some humans know after a few too many beers... [but seriously, if we get headaches, why should we not expect other critters to have them on occasion?]. I opt for mite sun-tanning! ;-) - Jim, Thompson Falls