Plentywood on 31 May

  • Ed Harper
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2011
      The weather on 30 May was wet and windy, much too wild for much birding. But today started better as I was joined by Robin and Richard Wolcott. In Plentywood, our first stop was at the Harry Desilva Park where the day got underway on a propitious note with a female Mourning Warbler. The Magnolia Warblers of the past, however, had departed. We did, however, have a great showing of 6 to 8 American Redstarts. Busy fly catching along the creek, they would often land within 6 feet of us. We had amazing looks. An immature Broad-winged Hawk was a nice find. Other species of interest included Alder Flycatcher, Blackpoll Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler, and Baltimore Oriole.

      We finally made it over to Westby in the afternoon where another Mourning Warbler was seen and the only Magnolia Warbler of the day was found. Although the rains had stopped, strong winds made birding a challenge.

      This evening the winds have stopped and tomorrow looks like a nice day to be out in the field. Hopefully, the birding will be a good as the weather promises to be.

      Ed Harper
      Bozeman/Sacramento
      SANDPIPER JOURNEYS