Lewis's Woodpecker

  • Roger Hogen
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2011
      MOBsters,
      Lewis's Woodpeckers have returned to our feeder this morning.  They left here on a windy day last fall (Sept. 13).
      Now, where are those wrens and hummers?
      Roger and Kathy
      The Big Flat
      Missoula, MT
    • David Crouch
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2012
        A highlight of today's birding was close and lingering views of three adult Lewis's Woodpeckers at Council Grove. On June 26 in the same location we had an adult Lewis's that flew into its cavity nest area with a small snake and proceeded to bash the snake about, much like a Kingfisher prepares a fish, and then made several moves into the nest hole as though it was feeding a youngster. I had never before witnessed this sort of behavior in any Woodpecker species.

        Mullan Rd. (Kelly's, Deschamps, Kona, Council Grove), Missoula, US-MT
        Jul 3, 2012 12:45 PM - 2:45 PM
        Protocol: Traveling
        8.0 mile(s)
        Comments:     Hit all Mullan Road sites. Walk ins at Kelly Island and Council Grove.
        37 species

        Canada Goose  15
        Wood Duck  3     Female with two small Ducklings at Council Grove.
        Mallard  3
        Blue-winged Teal  2
        Great Blue Heron  3     "Mousing" at Kona.
        Turkey Vulture  4
        Osprey  5
        American Kestrel  1
        Sora  1     Heard across from Bison at Kelly's IS.
        Killdeer  3
        Spotted Sandpiper  2
        Rock Pigeon  6
        Mourning Dove  8     At Council Grove.
        Lewis's Woodpecker  3     Some excellent lingering views at CG.
        Red-naped Sapsucker  2
        Northern Flicker  6
        Western Wood-Pewee  2
        Willow Flycatcher  1
        Western Kingbird  1
        Eastern Kingbird  4
        Tree Swallow  5
        Barn Swallow  7
        Cliff Swallow  2
        American Robin  15
        Gray Catbird  1
        European Starling  10
        Cedar Waxwing  7
        Common Yellowthroat  1
        American Redstart  1     Nice views of singing male at Kelly's.
        Yellow Warbler  2
        Savannah Sparrow  1
        Song Sparrow  3
        Red-winged Blackbird  22
        Western Meadowlark  2
        Yellow-headed Blackbird  15     At Deschamps Road.
        Common Grackle  4
        House Sparrow  4

        Dave Crouch
        Seymour, IN
        currently in Missoula

      • Hutto, R. L.
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27 12:33 PM

          Lewis's Woodpecker today at Kelly Island trails

          Dick Hutto

          Professor Emeritus, Biology and Wildlife Biology

          Division of Biological Sciences

          University of Montana

          Missoula, MT 59812

          ph: 406-243-4292