Ft. Peck arrivals

  • Chuck Carlson
    Message 1 of 21 , May 4 9:32 AM
      Mobsters

      I guess all I had to do is mention the birds yesterday. A White-crowned Sparrow and a Spotted Towhee both showed up in the yard this morning. Still waiting for some warblers.

      Chuck Carlson
      Ft. Peck
    • Chuck Carlson
      Message 2 of 21 , May 10 10:48 AM
        Mobsters

        This gray, rainy and cool morning found White-throated Sparrow, Swainson’s Thrush and Harris’s Sparrow as FOY for the yard.

        Chuck Carlson
        Ft. Peck
      • Chuck Carlson
        Message 3 of 21 , May 5 9:35 AM
          Mobsters

          Yesterday I found a Clay-colored Sparrow in the front yard and a Brown Thrasher in the back yard. This morning already we’ve had a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a Chipping Sparrow with a total of 21 species up to 10:30 this morning. Right now we are experiencing our first thunderstorm of the new year.

          Last night at about 10:30 the weather radar from Glasgow showed a very heavy echo of presumed migrant birds on the Base Velocity loop, with good movement approaching from the south and moving away to the north. You can only see this feature for each local radar site.

          Chuck Carlson
          Ft. Peck

        • Chuck Carlson
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 12, 2012
            Mobsters

            Today while scouting a wild plum thicket near the first dredge cuts for ripe fruit I found a White-throated Sparrow, a White-crowned Sparrow and a MacGillivray’s Warbler. There was also an empid that I couldn’t a good look at. The sparrows were first of the season here.

            At the Dredge Cuts FAS there were 5 Western Grebes, 1 Eared Grebe, 2 Ruddy Ducks, some Ring-billed Gulls and in a flock of Barn Swallows estimated at about 80 to 100 that were feeding just above the water surface. In the flock was one late pale rumped Cliff Swallow.

            The yard today produced Orange-crowned, MacGillivray’s, and Tennessee warblers, a Lincoln’s Sparrow and a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

            Chuck Carlson
            Ft. Peck
          • Chuck Carlson
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 26, 2012
              This afternoon I found about 1800 to 2000 Cackling Geese on the river near Nelson Dredge Point. I will post a shot of a small part of the flock. There was also a small flock of perhaps 50 birds on the 1st Dredge Cut.

              I also found an aberrant color of Western Grebe on the Dredge Cuts FAS pond. Where a normal grebe has black this bird has a light gray color and the back has a tinge of brownish. When I first found it it was about 800 yds away and the shape suggested a Western, but the light color had me guessing until I got a better look.

              Chuck Carlson
              Ft. Peck
            • Chuck Carlson
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 29, 2013
                Yesterday found the first Great Blue Herons at the small rookery in 1st Dredge Cut. The only open water we have is on the river itself. Canada Goose numbers peaked last weekend and they rest all along the river shores for miles in uncounted (and uncountable for me) numbers. A lot of people have commented on the numbers seen feeding in the stubble fields this spring. Numbers of Pintails have arrived as have Northern Shovelers. Yesterday I watched a Golden Eagle trying to take one of the thousands of Mallards feeding in a field.

                It seems that the gull numbers have dropped from there peak just before the cold weather we had on the 18th and 19th when temps dropped to lows below 0 and highs only in the low 20s. We’ve had one first winter Thayer’s Gull and a first winter Herring among the large numbers of Californias and much smaller numbers of Ring-billeds.

                During the cold snap there were several hundred (I counted 325) Common Mergansers, and two Hooded, just below the powerplants. I found my first Western Meadowlark on the 25th.

                The yard continues with hordes of Common Redpolls but I haven’t been able to locate another Hoary for some time now. Up to 8 Red Crossbills have been visiting daily and three days ago we had 3 White-wingeds make a short stop at the top of the spruces.

                On the 27th there was a hatch of some sort of midges from the river below the powerplants and all the waterfowl and gulls were feeding at the surface of the water. Even Common Goldeneyes were swimming along with their lower bill just below the surface skimming the bugs.

                Chuck Carlson
                Ft. Peck
              • Chuck Carlson
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 31, 2013
                  On Saturday I found a pair of swans north of Ft. Peck in a stubble field flooded with snow melt along with a hundred or so geese. I assumed that they were Tundra Swans as I had never seen Trumpeters out here and one of them had a small yellow spot on the loral area below the eye. But as I watched them and took some photos there were some things that didn’t seem right for Tundras, like the wide black facial skin that doesn’t pinch in as it nears the eye. After seeing the shots I was still not sure but asked someone well versed in swans. He thought they were Trumpeters, but had some reservations about that ID also. He did say that a very small number of Trumpeters are found with the yellow spot. Photo is posted on MOB.

                  The first American White Pelican of the year showed up here today. Ducks have arrived in great numbers and include just about every species that can be expected here. There was one Eurasian Wigeon in with them in another flooded field. The swans were seen again several miles from the original spot.

                  Chuck Carlson
                  Ft. Peck
                • Lynn Bacon
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 1, 2013

                    I have a group of starlings that roost in a large choke cheery above my yard tent every year, so I have heard starling mimicry up close and personal for years.  I have heard them mimic: bald eagle, robin, killdeer, dog barks, human words, chickens/roosters, red tails, likely more.  I know they are invasive creatures, and out compete especially flickers for nest sites, but I admit to being very fond of starlings because of this trait.

                    Lynn M. Bacon

                    TerraQuatic, LLC

                    Principal, Senior Scientist

                    614 West Lamme Street

                    Bozeman, MT  59715

                    (406) 580-6993

                    lbacon@...

                    **TerraQuatic, LLC is a Certified DBE**

                  • Chuck Carlson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 3, 2013
                      A Double-crested Cormorant was just below the powerplant this afternoon and a Lesser Black-backed Gull must have just flown in. It slept for over two hours on the small gravel bar just off the bridge at Park Grove.

                      Chuck Carlson
                      Ft. Peck
                    • Radd Icenoggle
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 3, 2013
                        Mobsters,

                        This afternoon I observed a single American White Pelican and a lone Double-crested Cormorant. Also 11 Snow Geese were present.

                        Radd Icenoggle
                      • Chuck Carlson
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 17, 2014
                          Mobsters

                          The first Pintails I saw were on the 8th and there are many here now. I lot of them are stained a bright rust color on the breast. Several hundred California Gulls are loafing on the river with a few Ring-billed.

                          On the 13th I found two Common Ravens feeding the remains of an eagle kill. A single raven was a flyover of the yard on 2/20.

                          On Friday, the first Red-breasted Merganser of the season was found on the river just below the powerplants. Thousands of Canada Geese are can be found on the river below the Nelson Dredge Cut Point along with Mallards and Pintails. There were some American Wigeon in the mass of birds, but for the past two days the point is inaccessible to me because of mud. I have yet to ID a Cackling Goose this spring.

                          A female type Purple Finch showed up in the yard this morning, the first since November 16, and it appears that the Sharp-shinned Hawk has left the area (knock on wood). We finally had some American Goldfinches come to the yard on Saturday. We’ve had none since Nov. 17.

                          Chuck Carlson
                          Ft. Peck
                        • Chuck Carlson
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 5 10:13 AM
                            Mobsters

                            The sparrows are moving in now. The yard seems full of White-crowned and White-throated with several Lincoln’s thrown into the mix. Sunday afternoon a neighbor reported a Western Tanager at his suet and about an hour later it had found it’s way to ours. It was a first spring male with brownish wings and tail and streaked back.

                            The river releases are quite high right now and waterfowl have little space for loafing, but the late migrants were found on the lake just below the dam.

                            On Saturday I found 47 Bonaparte’s Gulls on the river just below the powerplant along with 14 American White Pelicans, ring-billed and California gulls, 2 Common Loons and others.

                            Chuck Carlson
                            Ft. Peck
                          • Jeff
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 5 5:53 PM

                              Hi Chuck,

                              Your W. Tanager Sunday ties the record for earliest occurrence in the state.

                              Jeff

                              *******************
                              Jeff Marks
                              4241 SE Liebe Street
                              Portland, OR 97206
                              503-774-4783
                              Birds of Montana Project
                              http://mtaudubon.org/
                              *******************

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 21
                                Mobsters

                                This afternoon I was out at the Nelson Dredge Point and found that some shorebirds were on the gravel bar. There were 16 American Avocets and 8 Marbled Godwits loafing and preening. Then as I was scanning and counting a large gull appeared. It seemed to be a bit larger than a Herring when compared to a California. The eye however was not bright yellow but more a faintly dark yellowish shade. I’ll have to do some studying to see if I can come up with an ID.

                                Then I noted a very dark backed gull which turned out to be a Lesser Black-backed Gull. I’ll post some long range photos tonight or tomorrow.

                                Good gull day here. No warblers though.

                                Chuck Carlson
                                Ft. Peck
                              • Chuck Carlson
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 13 12:21 PM
                                  Mobsters

                                  Of course that should have been Blackpoll Warbler and not Black-poll.

                                  Chuck