Sage Thrasher

  • Steve Sherman
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2011
      Yesterday 4/3 while trying to do Sage Grouse lek counts (snow drifts every where) I saw my FOY Sage Thrashers. Three were in a group and a single bird about a mile away. This is about a week early as I typically see/hear the first thrashers around 4/10.
      I have a thought --- the first birds to arrive in the summering areas will search for a territory. When a suitable a area is found will start to defend/advertise the territory vocally.  Could we be missing the early arrival dates of this bird? This is the second time I have seen the Sage Thrasher before I have heard them singing. Both times were earlier than the usual date.
      I would like to hear some other thoughts on this.

      Ted -- I sure don’t what to be complaining about the snow. I won’t trade with you!!

      Steve Sherman
      Dillon
    • Steve Sherman
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2013
        To day while out doing lek counts (4/2), I heard the predawn serenade of my first of the year Sage Thrasher. The bird was in the Ermont area west of Dillon.
        Steve Sherman
        Dillon
      • COGOJR
        Message 3 of 6 , May 29, 2016

          Seen 5/25/16 in latilong 14B on Garcon Gulch Road about 3 miles south of Irvine Hill where sagebrush becomes the dominant habitat.

          Giles Gordon