Re: Great Gray Owl circus- Missoula

  • Kylie
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2011
      Perhaps MOBbers can dedicate themselves to birding by bicycle more frequently? Its the best way to see and especially hear all sorts of birds. If I head out again, I will make my next visit via bicycle, to ensure I am not the one to hit it. This afternoon I was driving too darn slow while looking for the bird to be any risk myself... but wildlife, roads, and cars can indeed be a terrible combination. Let's slow down!
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
        Steve (et al):

        While it upsets me as well that the Northern Hawk Owl west of Kalispell was killed in a collision with a car, I am also certain it was not a result of birders. It chose to winter along a very busy highway, and was quite oblivious to both birders and traffic. As far as I know, the MOB and visiting birders did nothing at all to hasten its demise.

        That said, it certainly pays to be very conscientious about not overly stressing birds, and just because a bird is apparently "tame" does not mean we should not all be respectful enough to keep a bit of distance.