Re: [MOB-Montana] Great Gray Owl circus- Missoula

  • Steven Hughes
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4 1:54 PM
      Puts a fright in Me!
      We've already lost one owl already this season, up Kalispell way.
      I'd not seen either bird but it upsets me no end that we make a spectacle out of them, then run 'em down!!!

      --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, fcbayernmunich@... wrote:

      > That must have been somebody else. I saw it around 2pm. I only had my point
      > & shoot at the time and had to go to work, so I came back this morning and
      > watched it hunt along 7th St. (just west of Hiberta). A delight to watch it
      > dive down in the snow after mice, voles, etc. At one point it dove down
      > towards the road and swooped up right in front of somebody's windshield as
      > they were driving down the road. Must have put a fright into the driver.
      >
      > Andrew in Missoula
      >
      > > Yikes! When I got there at 5:45ish, it was further back in the field and
      > > there was one photographer (maybe Andrew?) just leaving as I arrived. I
      > > was later joined in the field for a few minutes by father and son. We
      > > were reasonably far from the owl, who was actively and successfully
      > > hunting, but a woman in a yard on the west side of the field was
      > > screaming at us. I appreciate the sentiment to protect the owl from
      > > encroachment but I vert much did not appreciate that she almost
      > > intimidated the father and son out of seeing the owl and made the kid
      > > feel like he was doing something wrong.
      >

      > > Katie LaSalle-Lowerykatie@...
      > > http://www.bigskycountry.net
      > > Blog: http://blog.bigskycountry.net

    • Kylie
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4 2:37 PM
        Perhaps MOBbers can dedicate themselves to birding by bicycle more frequently? Its the best way to see and especially hear all sorts of birds. If I head out again, I will make my next visit via bicycle, to ensure I am not the one to hit it. This afternoon I was driving too darn slow while looking for the bird to be any risk myself... but wildlife, roads, and cars can indeed be a terrible combination. Let's slow down!
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5 7:33 AM
          Steve (et al):

          While it upsets me as well that the Northern Hawk Owl west of Kalispell was killed in a collision with a car, I am also certain it was not a result of birders. It chose to winter along a very busy highway, and was quite oblivious to both birders and traffic. As far as I know, the MOB and visiting birders did nothing at all to hasten its demise.

          That said, it certainly pays to be very conscientious about not overly stressing birds, and just because a bird is apparently "tame" does not mean we should not all be respectful enough to keep a bit of distance.