18132Re: Gallatin Valley Central Park Pond and Manhattan Area Pond

  • Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh
    Feb 16, 2014
      Feb 15, '14
      We ran into Kerri Strasheim at Central Park Pond and saw all the same birds she recently reported.  We also saw close to a dozen Rough Legged Hawks on adjoining gravel roads.  Two Redtail Hawks and one Prairie Falcon near the intersection of Swamp Road and Dry Creek Road.  Male Kingfisher on a wire near Thompson Spring Creek plus an immature Bald Eagle one power pole South from the Kingfisher. Another highlight of the day was a group of 50 or so Redwing Blackbirds clustered in some Alder Bushes, adjacent to a small Spring Creek on Burnt Road.

      The Hawks really seem to like wooden power poles along gravel roads, adjacent to irrigated agricultural fields in the Amsterdam Churchill area.   As soon as the roads rise up above the tilled fields, to high dry prairie to the West of Amsterdam, the density of hawks drops off noticeably.

      --
      /*  Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh  >--oO0> */

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic