18131Gallatin Valley Central Park Pond and Manhattan Area Pond

  • kerristrasheim
    Feb 15, 2014

      Greetings!

      With a smaller open spot of water, birding at Central Park Pond was good today - concentrating the waterfowl in one area for viewing pleasure!

      Birds seen - 20 swans (mixed Trumpeter/Tundra), 100 Mallards, 4 Buffleheads, 15 Common Goldeneyes, 10 Northern Pintails, 10 American Wigeons, 30 Canada geese, 1 Bald Eagle, 3 Magpies, and 2 Black-Capped Chickadees (sound only).

      Also, at the pond near Manhattan (heading towards the river), we saw 7 Green-Winged Teals, 1 male Northern Shoveler, and 25 Mallards.

      Funny anecdote regarding the swans - after canvassing the bird species and getting around to list-making, my friend and I conferred on swan ID (Trumpeter v Tundra).  When we turned out attention back to the water and the swans, every single swan had their head in a sleeping pose (or hiding pose, as it seemed!).

      I do plan on entering this information on E-Bird, too.

      Cheers,

      Kerri Strasheim

      Bozeman, MT

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic