17829female White-winged Scoter

  • steel_rsd
    Nov 18, 2013

      MOB,

      I was caught without my camera or binoculars today so can't confirm what I believe was a possible female White-Winged Scoter at East Gallatin Rec. pond about 1:00 pm today.  Straining my eyes to capture details, it was swimming with some Mallards then merged with some Canada Geese.  It took flight and clearly showed distinct white wing patches.  It could be female Goldeneye but the bird to me seemed much darker on the water.  I did not see it land back on the pond.   If anybody is in the neighborhood, it might be worth a quick look.  I'll be back tomorrow, gear in hand.

      Scott Dean

      Clyde Park, MT