17827Cackling Geese Ft. Peck

  • Chuck Carlson
    Nov 17, 2013
      Mobsters

      I have posted two shots of a small part of the total of Cackling Geese here now. A very conservative guess, and I do mean guess, on the numbers might be at least 7500, very probably more.  They’ve been here for about a week or so, and there has also been a flock of about 400+ Snow Geese with some Ross’s Geese mixed in. About 10 percent of the Snows are blue morphs. That is much higher than I have ever seen in the past in the relatively small flocks that we get. I found about 60 Greater White-fronted Geese mixed in the flocks of Cacklers and Canadas.

      A Northern Goshawk was seen at the Dredge Cuts FAS this morning. Also there were two Pied-billed Grebes, a Western Grebe, several American Coots, 40 Canada Geese, 21 Hooded Mergansers, 5 Red-breasted Merganser, and  2 Common Mergansers.

      Chuck Carlson
      Ft. Peck