      Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:56 PM
      Subject: [MOB-Montana] WS WMA Survey

      October 24 bird survey report for WS WMA

      There were 20,500 individuals and 32 species, compared to 26,700 individuals, and 34 species last week.

      Highlights:

      American Coots continue to drop with 17,600 this week compared to 21,500 last week.  Coots represented 85% of all birds seen this week.

      All water species were under 200 with the exception of American Wigeon at 1,300, Canvasback at 750, and American Coot at 17,600.  These three species made up 96% of all individuals seen.

      There was no new species for the year this week.  Year to date bird species recorded at Warm Springs WMA is 167.  Total birds ever seen at WS WMA is 209.

      The first Rough-legged Hawk and Trumpeter Swans (3) of the fall were observed.

      I also observed three species of gulls; California, Ringed-bill and Herring.

      No shorebirds were seen.

      In a pond closer to Deer Lodge the 3 White-faced Ibis remain, despite the fact that they were standing in mud that had ice on it.  They first appeared on October 33.

      Gary Swant

      Deer Lodge

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic