15363Missoula Pygmy Owl

  • andreaforbirds
    Jan 22, 2013
      We can go for years and not see a single northern pygmy owl. This year, however, has brought us several sightings (reported previously). Last evening we were enjoying the spectacle of the last few rays of evening sun burnishing a mixed flock of dark-eyed juncos and Bohemian waxwings on a Ponderosa pine in the Upper Rattlesnake Creek area. A northern pygmy owl landed on the top of the adjacent pine tree and posed for us as we took several photos. We thought it was a lovely addition to a beautiful sunset, but the waxwings and juncos just flew away.

      Andrea Stierle
      Missoula and Butte