JC Project? - Medical Supplies for Red Cross Isla Mujeres

  • paige okeefe
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2003
      Minnesota Jaycees,

      I received this e-mail at work and thought it might just another way us
      Jaycees could help out others. I'm not sure it would be considered TWINNING,
      but could potentially count as an International Project. I kept some of the
      names confidential due to privacy issues / policies with HealthPartners
      Corporation.

      If you are interested, just respond to my work e-mail (since this is through
      my work) at the following e-mail: paige.j.okeefe@...

      Paige O'Keefe
      Minnesota State Jaycee Chaplain

      >> Good morning,
      >>
      >> My name is (Christine). I am an LPN currently working at (a local
      clinic). I recently returned from a trip to Isla Mujeres in which I
      >> delivered some medical supplies to the local Red Cross Clinic. This is a
      very small clinic that serves as the main clinic for the local people, as
      well as serving as a community center for families. It also has the only
      ambulance service for the island. The island, by the way, is small- about 5
      miles long and 1/2 mile wide! There are 17,000 people that live on the
      island. I toured the clinic and was amazed at how well they do with what
      they have. We should all see what they work with and count our blessings!

      The clinic was started after the hurricane in 1988, I can't remember the
      name, but nevertheless, there was extensive damage to the island, and they
      are STILL trying to rebuild. The clinic is run by a British trained
      physician, Dr. Greta Shorey who, I learned, is married to a man from Eden
      Prairie! It continues to function because of donations primarily from the
      United States and Canada.

      The reason why I am writing to you is because I am looking for more supplies
      to send to the Red Cross Clinic there.
      If you have ANY Medical supplies that you just don't know what to do with
      and don't want to throw PLEASE THINK OF THE RED CROSS ISLA MUJERES and send
      them to (me)!!

      I greatly appreciate your help and thank you in advance,

      Be sure to mark these shipments RED CROSS ISLA MUJERES when sending them.

      (Christine)