Fwd: Study Guides website update: '05 & '06
- This site with strategies and techniques for academic studies may be
of interest. Among other things it has a fully multilingual approach,
needs more translations, and is open to additional languages. A great
opportunity to get useful material online in diverse languages. DZO
----- Forwarded message from jfl@... -----
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:56:48 -0600
From: Joe Landsberger <jfl@...>
Reply-To: Joe Landsberger <jfl@...>
Subject: Study Guides website update: '05 & '06
www.studygs.net <http://www.studygs.net/> Status 05;
Studying | learning | learning with others | reading and writing
skills | project management | test preparation | test taking | and more!
This e-cast of my annual newsletter is sent to a distribution list
developed over the past ten years of the website. If you have received
this in error, please let me know. You are also welcome to forward
this to friends and colleagues.
Year 2005 was very productive!
* As an educational public service, Study Guides website visits
grew 51%: 9.2 million page views/53 million hits in 2005.
* I researched and authored seven more Guides in English;
volunteer translators added 223 pages to translations including Arabic
(Iraq), Chinese (PRC), Greek (Greece), Indonesian (Germany), Hebrew
(Israel), Persian (Iran), Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish (Argentina) and
Vietnamese (Viet Nam)
* See a summary of traffic Year 2005 below and the details at
Plans for the Year 2006:
* Keeping the website advertising free!
* More translations!
* More interactive Flash exercises to reinforce content
* A course/content management tool (CMS: Moodle?) to
facilitate sharing learner experiences within a constructive environment
* A print version of the Guides (time willing )
* I leave my university after 29.5 years of service on Friday,
31 March, 2006.
I will return to supporting learners through the Study Guides website;
through speaking and presenting at conferences; and through writing.
That day the celebration will be marked with a benefit in St. Paul,
Minnesota for a school and shelter for street children in Puebla,
México: if you are interested, write and ask me more! I will also
actively search for a non-commercial educational partner to help with
developing and validating the website.
Note my new e-mail address (above): info@...
Thank you for all your support!
And peace and blessings for the new year
joe ///////////////educationally inclined\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Wisdom to discern the right path
Courage to take it
Discipline of joy to encounter it
jos f landsberger;
web site: <http://www.studygs.net/> http://www.studygs.net
telephone: 651 962 6806
Research, author, webmaster/developer
Here is a summary of 2005 website statistics, or metrics. Below are a
few, but you will find more detail at http://www.studygs.net/enews
* 9.3 million pages viewed; 53.8 million hits: increase of
51% over the year 2004 (6.1 million page views)
* 21.75% of visits are returning learners 1.
* 38.9% are direct requests for the website, 27.32% through a
Google search, 4.33% through Stumbleupon, 4.35% through Yahoo, 2.58%
through MSN, 23% through other. 4.35% of visitors are through
Saigonbao.com, VietNam where we are featured under the category of
Tuoi Tre (Cam Nang Hoc Tap)! 1.
* Browsers: Internet Explorer - 85%, Firefox - 12%, Safari -
1.5%, Opera - 1.2% 1.
* Screen resolution: 1024x768 - 55%, 800x600 - 27%, 1280x1024
- 7%, 1280x800 - 3%, 1152x864 - 3%, 1400x1050 - 1% 1.
* Connection speed: cable/DSL - 64%, dialup - 15%, unknown -
14%, corporate - 7% 1.
* Average viewing time: between 1.5 and 2 minutes (index pages
* Traffic by country/domain: Network .net, 26.30%;
unresolved/unknown , 29.86%; commercial (.com) , 17.58%; Educational
.edu, 2.72%; Canada .ca, 1.74%; Mexico .mx, 2.04%; United States
.us, 1.76%; Viet Nam .vn, 1.68%; Morocco .ma, 1.29%; United Kingdom
.uk, 1.39%; Non-Profit Organization .org, 0.92%; Australia .au, 0.78%;
Peru .pe, 0.79%; Germany .de, 0.51%; Italy .it , 0.54%; Israel .il,
0.40%; Malaysia .my, 0.32%; Indonesia .id, 0.29%; Turkey .tu, 0.33%;
Brazil .br, 0.29%; US Military .mil, 0.40%; Netherlands .nl, 0.34%;
France .fr, 0.32%; Singapore .sg, 0.42%; India .in, 0.31%; Saudi
Arabia .sa, 0.72%; Russian Federation .ru, 0.22%; Argentina .ar,
0.24%; Poland .pl , 0.19%; Belgium .be, 0.21% 2.
* Traffic by 30 language folders (one day, December 1,
2005--see website for details), often reflects number of translations
and/or when translated/introduced: English, 68.2%; Spanish, 10.6%;
Vietnamese, 3.8%; Arabic, 3.2%; Chinese, 2.8%; Indonesian, 1.7%;
Hebrew, 1.5%; French, 1.4%; German, 1.0%; Portuguese, 0.8%; Russian,
0.8%; Korean, 0.7%; Italian, 0.6%; Turkish, 0.5%; Swedish, 0.3%;
Amharic, 0.3%; Czech, 0.3%; Croatian, 0.3%; Persian, 0.2%; Japanese,
0.2%; Ewe, 0.2%; Luganda, 0.2%; Roumanian, 0.2%; Danish, 0.2%;
Kiswahili, 0.1%; Melayu Manado, 0.1%; Hindi, 0.1%; Tamil, 0.1%; Kabiye
0.1%; Greek. 2.
* Google Search by keywords 3.
* "Study" brings the Guides up third of 1,020,000,000 (billion!)
* "Study + guides" second of 70,800,000 sites
* "time management": third of 705,000,000 sites
* "test anxiety": fifth of 12,500,000 sites
* "ADHD": 111 out of 13,600,000; "ADHD + studying": first of
* "Mapas mentales" (Spanish) is often the second most popular
search term for the website(including English!) and first of 430,000
* links to the Study Guides website:
* 19,000 websites link to the Guides in its database
(all search engines have differing databases of websites they draw from
* 2,117 links are from institutions of higher education in the
United States (.edu domain)
* 18.27% of traffic is from .com domains
1. Google Analytics
(only reflects traffic to index pages, all languages)
2. Webalizer (December 2005)
3. GOOGLE Search (December 28, 2005)
4. AltaVista (December 28, 2005)
----- End forwarded message -----