Re: [MILLIGAN] Julius Washington Milligan

  • Linda Oatman
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 5, 2005
      Just a note:  Julius Sr. died in Anderson Co., TN, per his widow's bounty land warrant claims.  His son, Jr., died in Blount County, but spent time in Roane County in the 1820's.
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 24, 2013
      Hi, Cindy,
      Most of what you have is correct.  My brother recently did a DNA submission and by a "preponderance of the evidence" we believe Julius and Catherine also had the following children (last name spelling: inconclusive!):
      John A. Milligan, b. ca 1798 in Green Co., KY, m. Rhoda Norman
      Moses, b. 1803 in TN, m. Cynthia Scarborough (sister to Malinda??)
      William Marion, b. 1810 in TN, m. Rebecca Clonch
      Celia Frances, b. 1813 in TN, m. Goodman Benjamin Stout
      John A. and William Marion were ancestors of two of the other submission of DNA who matched the 37-point markers, and they indicate their lines back to Julius Jr. and then to Julius Sr.
      Not sure who the other Julius was who married Mary Starnes.  There were other Milliken families in Green County, Kentucky, and this second Julius was likely a cousin.
      Am attaching a paper I put together (notice the word PROPOSED) that I believe is my family.  This comes from many sources and so far has not been proven wrong, although it is tentative.  Let me know what you think and if you have any corrections or problems with my thinking (you wouldn't be the first).

      On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM, CindyinEncinitas <ctmillicanglenn@...> wrote:

      From a good source:

      Children of JULIUS MILLICAN and CATHERINE HART are:

      2. i. JULIUS2 MILLICAN, JR., b. Bet. 1800 - 1810; d. Bet. 1840 - 1850, Prob. Blount Co., TN, at or near Miser Station.
      3. ii. HUGH MILLICAN, b. ca 1805, TN; d. Bef. 1880, Polk Co., MO.

      Generation No. 2

      2. JULIUS2 MILLICAN, JR. (JULIUS1) was born Bet. 1800 - 1810, and died Bet. 1840 - 1850 in Prob. Blount Co., TN, at or near Miser Station. He married MALINDA CLEMENTINE SCARBOROUGH. She was born ca 1805 in TN, and died ca 1868 in Tiptonville, Lake Co., TN.

      Notes for JULIUS MILLICAN, JR.:
      1830 census, Anderson County, TN, page 183:
      Julius MILLACAN, two males under 5 (possibly William Riley ca 1825 and Samuel H. ca 1828)
      1 male 5-10 (possibly Bart ca 1824)
      1 male 20-30 (possibly Julius Jr.)
      1 female 10-15
      1 female 20-30 (Malinda)
      [This is Julius Jr., who was living next door to Julius MILLAKEN, his father]

      Neither one of these guys was involved with Mary Polly Starnes. She married, evidently, another Julius Milligen.

      You would have to assume that the Julius Sr. above who was married to Catarina Hart was from Virginia because his son Julius Jr. named one of his sons Samuel Houston, obviously after the Samuel Houston who lived near his father. There is a court record where Julius Sr. gets indicted for not maintaining the road near Sam Houston's place.

      Am I mistaken here?