Gov't Running Over Michigan - 2 Events - Together, We Stand!

  • travllr
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2008
      [Moderator's Note: This is an announcement from Americans for
      Prosperity - while not directly a Michigan FairTax issue - is related
      in the sense that Michigan legislators are taking their leads more
      from vested interest groups than from the citizens they represent.
      Acting to support these two upcoming events will give Michigan
      FairTaxers the chance to mingle with those whose aims are very
      synergistic with ours. As well, THIS WILL BE AN EXCELLENT VENUE TO
      OBTAIN PETITION SIGNATURES. (Those who would like MI FairTax
      petitions, please call Micah Kissling at (800) 314-6483). Hope to see
      all Michigan FairTaxers at BOTH of these events. ]

      It seems like when it rains it pours. I apologize for sending action
      alerts on consecutive days, but the Michigan legislature is at it
      again and we all need to stand united as concerned Michigan residents.

      There are two upcoming rallies I'd like to encourage you to come out
      for in the next two weeks. The first is on Wednesday, April 9 at the
      State Capital. I know it is a workday and, yes, it is in the middle
      of the day, set to begin at 11:15 at the Capital steps. Please try to
      take a few hours off to make it to this important event. We are
      expecting over 1,000 homeschoolers from around the state to lend
      their voices to ours to demand that Michigan lawmakers get out of the
      way and let us live our lives.

      There has been legislation introduced in the Michigan House,
      supported by the Michigan Education Association, which would require
      every homeschool family in Michigan to register with the state. The
      Michigan Education Code does not give Michigan government the right
      to intervene in our families and how we choose to educate our
      children. If some Michigan lawmakers have their way, homeschoolers in
      this state will soon have to be licensed and will be regulated by the
      Department of Education.

      Folks, Michigan government and spending continue to grow. This is
      just one horrible example among many of some lawmakers' belief that
      big government knows what's best for our families and businesses. AFP-
      Michigan disagrees. We should be looking at ways to reform public
      education and cut wasteful government spending before we try to
      regulate a thriving educational community in this state. It is a
      great opportunity to push our lawmakers to adopt spending
      transparency and serious government reform before they even think
      about passing one more tax or fee increase or regulation on the
      residents of our great state.

      The second rally is on Tuesday, April 15 at the Redford Post Office
      at 12245 Beech Daly Rd. The event is sponsored by the Michigan
      Taxpayers Alliance and is our chance to tell lawmakers on tax day
      what we think of the recent tax increases they passed on our families
      and businesses. The rally will be from 5-7 p.m. The location is in
      the heart of Michigan House Speaker Andy Dillon's legislative
      district. Dillon played a key role in pushing the tax increases last
      year that recently became law and are further destroying our state's

      Please take the time to come out. My family and I will be at both
      events. If lawmakers don't see us engaged, they will continue to run
      us over. Help us.

      Amy Hagerstrom
      Michigan Director, Americans for Prosperity

      Americans for Prosperity (AFP) is the nation's premier grassroots
      organization committed to advancing every individual's right to
      economic freedom and opportunity. AFP believes reducing the size and
      scope of government is the best safeguard to ensuring individual
      productivity and prosperity for all Americans. AFP educates and
      engages citizens in support of restraining state and federal
      government growth, and returning government to its constitutional

      For more information, visit http://www.americansforprosperity.org