Martin Luther King, Barack Obama, and History.

  • lovingdayproject
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2009
      The Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday
      holds a special place in my heart.

      I have always truly admired Dr. King and his vision.

      I still get goose bumps when I listen to his speeches.

      The holiday itself was a major inspiration
      for me when I created Loving Day.

      But this MLK holiday is unlike any before it.

      Just 41 years after Dr. King's tragic assassination, Barack
      Obama will be inaugurated into the nation's highest office.

      We are witnessing real progress and history in the making.

      I find myself at a loss for words.

      Fortunately, Jay-Z was quite eloquent when he said:

      ""Rosa Parks sat, so that Martin Luther King could walk.
      Martin Luther King walked, so that Barack Obama could run.
      Obama ran, so We could fly.""

      I love the way this quote combines the force of history,
      the excitement of the present, and optimism for the future.

      To me, that's what these two days are about.

      It's also what Loving Day is about.

      Sometimes history falls perfectly into place.

      It's perfect that this inauguration
      is the day after the MLK holiday.

      It's also perfect that the couple that legalized
      interracial relationships had "Loving" as their last name.

      I hope you'll join me in using these perfect
      moments to reflect on your rights, and to
      inspire positive change in your daily life.

      Sincerely,

      Ken Tanabe
      Founder/President, Loving Day
      http://www.lovingday.org

      It's fun and easy to host your own Loving Day
      Celebration with our free Celebration Kit (PDF):

      http://www.lovingday.org/files/documents/loving_day_kit_2007_01.pdf