Obama and Loving Day

  • lovingdayproject
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2008
      Dear Loving Day supporters,

      November 4th, 2008 is a historic milestone on the road of progress.

      Only 41 years after the Loving Decision legalized
      interracial marriage nationwide, the United States
      will have its first known multiethnic president.

      Barack Obama is many things to many people:
      black, multiethnic, international, and more.

      We at Loving Day acknowledge all of these
      things as positive and non-exclusive.

      We also wish to recognize the monumental optimism
      and inspiration that this election has brought.

      To those of us in the multiethnic community, this day
      is a quantum leap in terms of our public representation.

      Before 2000, Barack Obama would not have had a box
      (or boxes) to check on the U.S. Census form without
      being "other" -or- denying part of his heritage.

      Today, there's an oval office in the
      White House with his name on it.

      In his first speech as president-elect, Barack Obama
      described his victory as an opportunity for progress.

      We share this belief in the context of fighting prejudice.
      Now that the White House has become a more open place, we
      hope that you will join us in making every house a more
      open place - especially those that are closest to you.

      Host a Loving Day Celebration and
      you can make a difference where you live.

      Loving Day is about education and community.

      We are non-partisan, so we don't pick favorites in elections.

      We welcome everyone who shares our desire to fight prejudice,
      regardless of personal background or political beliefs.

      That being said, we hope that you will join us in celebrating
      the enormous cultural significance of this election.

      We believe that this day will be remembered along with the
      Thirteenth Amendment, Brown v. Board of Education, The Civil
      Rights Act of 1964, and Loving v. Virginia as a collective leap
      forward for the United States and for the entire global community.

      Sincerely,

      Ken Tanabe
      Founder/President, Loving Day
      http://www.lovingday.org

      Start conversations and show your
      support with a Loving Day t-shirt:

      http://www.lovingday.org/store.htm

      Keep the Loving Day Project
      alive with an online donation:

      http://www.lovingday.org/donate.htm

      It's fun and easy to host your own Loving Day
      Celebration with our free Celebration Kit (PDF):

      http://www.lovingday.org/files/documents/loving_day_kit_2007_01.pdf