Happy Loving Day!

  • lovingday_dot_org
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2008
      Forty one years ago today, Richard and Mildred Loving walked out of
      the Supreme Court in Washington, DC. After nine years of struggle,
      they won the right to be together as an interracial couple. They also
      won that right for interracial couples nationwide, ending about 400
      years of racist laws that existed in 35 states. So today, we celebrate
      our legal right to marriage and relationships without regard to race.

      This year is particularly significant because Mrs. Loving tragically
      passed away. While we are saddened by this, we can also be inspired by
      her historic achievement. Mrs. Loving was a regular person from a
      small town who made a big difference. We can all make a difference as
      well. Let's teach our children, friends, and relatives about the
      Loving decision. Let's fight the prejudice that still exists for
      people in interracial, international, and intercultural relationships.
      Let's join together as a community of many races, cultures, and
      nationalities to celebrate Loving Day.

      There are Loving Day Celebrations happening nationwide! Take a look at
      our list of celebrations to see if there's one near you:
      http://www.lovingday.org/list_of_celebrations.htm

      It's fun and easy to host your own Loving Day Celebration with our
      free Celebration Kit in PDF format. Download it here:
      http://www.lovingday.org/files/documents/loving_day_kit_2007_01.pdf

      If you host a Celebration, be sure to share it with us! Take photos or
      videos and post them online through Flickr or YouTube:
      http://www.flickr.com/groups/lovingday/
      http://www.youtube.com/group/lovingday

      All the best to you and yours, and Happy Loving Day!
    • lovingdayproject
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2009
        On June 12th, 1967, Richard and Mildred Loving won their
        nine year legal battle and the Supreme Court granted
        them the right to be married in the state of Virginia.
        This victory also legalized interracial relationships
        nationwide, overturning hundreds of years of racist laws.

        However, racism is not dead.
        There is still racial prejudice in our daily lives.
        Loving Day is a great way to fight this prejudice
        through education, and to build multicultural community.

        Join others all over the world in celebrating Loving Day.

        Here are some things you can do:

        Host a celebration of any size for friends or family:
        http://lovingday.org/host-a-celebration

        Find a celebration to attend:
        http://lovingday.org/find-a-celebration

        Spread the word about Loving Day:
        http://lovingday.org/spread-the-word

        On behalf of all of the volunteers at the Loving
        Day Project, we wish you a happy Loving Day!