Re: how do you say you are? who do you tell people you are?

  • Rosanna
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2008
      Well, I've been of both mindsets.

      There have been times when I leaned more towards
      Loren's idea of educating and sharing w/people,
      and other times when I leaned more towards Cheryl's
      idea of only getting into the topic w/close friends.

      Overall, I'm probably somewhere in the middle.

      But I do believe it is an individual choice how someone wants to
      approach the topic of race/culture/ethnicity, and a person should
      do what makes them comfortable, fits w/their lifestyle, etc.

      I don't think anyone is obligated to share information
      about their racial/cultural background, and I don't think
      anyone is obligated to try to educate others on diversity.

      If someone feels a calling to do that, then more power
      to them, but not everyone is comfortable in that role.

      In MGM-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "Loren G. Kelly" <Sirkelly55@...> wrote:

      Hello to the List:

      Hmmmmmmmmmm. Let me see...You are saying that you should
      not discuss who you are with anyone; especially those
      who are overtly and overly interested in your genealogy
      because most of these individuals are racists?
      You stated: "You don't tell anybody anything!"
      In my world that could not be further from the truth.
      You see I am a teacher.

      I could not disagree more. Of course that is
      because I am a genealogist and a History teacher.
      Most of the people that I associate with in genealogy are
      overtly interested in genealogy, but they are not racists.
      On a daily basis I work with delinquent youth (inner
      city students of all races) in a school setting.
      I also interact with their parents as well as the community.
      Carrying on business as usual for me is to encourage these
      youth to take pride in their heritage and who they are.
      It is imperative that I make them aware of History and how
      it has impacted their lives and the lives of their ancestors.
      It is also imperative for me to respect who
      these children are as well as their culture.
      These children, regardless of their culture
      or heritage, are all our children.

      In my life and what I do for a living as an educator this subject
      does come up often and it does matter on a daily basis.
      I am aware that not everyone has the passion that
      I do for Genealogy (Family History) and History.
      And that is O.K. But it is still important that everyone
      recognizes the importance of family; culture; and heritage.
      And I teach it to students on a daily basis.

      I do not have the luxury to stick my head in
      the sand and not share with people who I am.
      Plus celebrating ones heritage is very important,
      regardless of your occupation or your race.
      I have to be a role model for my students.
      If you look at History you will see that our society often repeats
      the same mistakes and that we do not seem to learn from them.
      That is because little emphasis is placed
      on the importance of History.

      Do I run across racists?
      You bet I do!
      Do I want them to be my friends?
      No!
      But sometimes I have to teach their children.
      It is not their children's fault that their parents are racists.
      I don't run around on a daily basis
      telling everyone I am tri-racial.
      However, when I get the opportunity and the right
      moment presents itself, I share this fact with others.
      And I have expressed this to a few racists, as well!!!!<grin>

      Business as usual for me and many others involves
      sharing our heritage and encouraging everyone to
      be aware of family as well as their own culture.

      Case-in-point, I recently organized a school event
      which involved celebrating Hispanic Heritage month.
      Even though I am not Hispanic, Hispanic Hertiage Month
      is an important month for hispanics and hispanic youth.
      We had the first Latina Judge to ever be
      elected in our County as the keynote speaker.
      We also had a local High Schools Magnet Fine Arts Department
      perform traditional folklorico dancing for our students and
      two (2) Hispanic probation officers who both played Spanish
      guitar to play Mexican Folk Music in both Spanish and English.
      It is just as important as Black History Month
      (which we will also celebrate) in February.

      Our children are our future...It is
      important that we model for them.
      I deal with a lot of dysfunctional families.
      The only hope that these children have
      is education and what they learn in school.
      And all it takes is one caring person (i.e.: a
      teacher) to make a difference in that child's life.
      I know it did in my life.

      Thank You for the opportunity of allowing me
      to share with you on this list, who I am.

      Loren G. Kelly

      "Kelly Irish Canadian Korner and My Delaware Moor Ancestry"
      http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/k/e/l/Loren-G-
      Kelly/index.html

      Kelly Motto: "Turis - Fortis - Mihi - Deus!"
      "God Is My Tower of Strength!"

      "To Know Who You Are Is To Know Where You Come From."

      "I am one of those so-called Delaware Moors.
      My heritage is Nanticoke Moor.
      I walk within two fires, meaning I have ties to
      the Nanticoke, "PEOPLE of the TIDEWATERS" and
      the Great Nation of the Lenape, "THE PEOPLE."
      I was never told that I was Native American.
      Without our ancestors we would be nothing.
      They must be honored."