Re: E-Harmony Against Interracial Relationships

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2008
      Lesson: Stay far away from bigots!

      Thanks for the info.

      The best place to meet someone is school,
      work, church, fitness clubs, parties.
      I was taught, anyone you meet
      in a bar, you leave there.

      Sharon

      In MGM-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "wergifts2" <soaptalk@...> wrote:

      A word of caution to our group members ...

      In addition to being careful when using an
      online dating service in general, it may be
      best to be extremely careful of the online
      dating service known as 'e-Harmony'.

      Many people have been reporting that they tried the
      'e-Harmony', service, hated it, found no matches ----
      then later discovered that the owner of 'e-Harmony'
      is openly very, very, very, very much against interracial
      dating relationships and marriages; openly disapproves
      of even the mere the existence of any and all multiracial
      people; and the company tends to only hire people
      whose beliefs are in line with that of the owner's.

      The owner of 'e-Harmony' has been said to have also
      previously been closely associated with organizations
      and people that have been noted as being 'hate groups'
      and is good friends with various ultra-conservative
      organizations that despise various groups-of-color
      and have open contempt for interracial relationships
      and those of us who are the offspring of such unions
      (particularly if any black bloodlines are found therein).

      Here are comments people have
      made about 'e-Harmony' service ...

      [[[

      Alan S. says:

      eHarmony? -- Oh you meah eRacism?
      Sorry to bring back the racism issue, but I have to say
      that eHarmony is the only online dating service I know
      that let's you pick ... what race you *don't* want to date…

      neil "a thotep" c. says:

      On the subject of racism, it bugs me that I've never
      seen a multi-racial couple on their commercials.

      SOURCE:
      http://www.yelp.com/topic/san-francisco-eharmony-anyone

      "Daniel Lynem [send email]

      When e harmony first started I read in
      some of the material on the site at the time,
      and this came from Neil Clark himself,
      that mixing of races in marriage should not
      be done and I heard him say the same thing
      when I heard him speak at a church …
      It was in a section that talked about what
      to be careful of when finding a mate.
      He gave a number of reasons why he didn't think
      that interracial marriages where a good thing …"

      SOURCE:
      http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/possible-discrimination-c34501.html

      "… when it comes to sites like, e-harmony…
      Have you also noticed, every single couple
      they have ever featured is of the same race?
      A subtle or not subtle message here?"

      SOURCE:
      http://whitemenforblackwomen.blogspot.com/2007/08/umm-well.html

      ]]

      [[

      ALSO -- HERE IS A DIRECT QUOTE FROM
      THE OWNER OF E-HARMONY HIMSELF
      ON HIS VIEW OF INTERRACIAL UNIONS

      "Interracial Marriages: Do They Work?
      By Dr. Neil Clark Warren (Owner of `e-Harmony')

      "My concern about interracial marriages is
      really part of a larger concern about …
      my philosophy about what creates highly
      compatible, long-term relationships …
      My … practical research with couples …
      has indicated that when two people are
      highly similar, they have an easier time …
      [S]ignificant dissimilarities…will
      almost always be problematic.
      [I]nterracial relationships ... will
      require an enormous amount of
      hard work to manage, and this may
      well subtract from the energy
      needed to keep a marriage thriving."

      SOURCE(S):

      http://www.thirdage.com/articles/interracial-marriages-do-they-work-thirdage

      ]]
    • Rosanna
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 19, 2008
        Like I've said on other boards, I've always suspected there
        might be something weird about E-Harmony. The couples they
        show on the commercials look identical, like male and
        female versions of each other, or brother and sister.
        Mad TV did a sketch a while back making fun of them.
        The same actor was dressed as both a man and a woman w/the two
        characters in split screen talking about how happy they were to
        have found each other. LOL! And if you've noticed there is now
        a new site, Chemistry.com, that actually points out in their
        commercials that E-Harmony has rejected thousands of people. Hmm.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
          Gosh,

          I'm flattered that I see a quote of mine, here, because I
          haven't posted or read this group in months. Just getting
          over a bout of the flu and have been overwhelmed with email.

          Been following Barack Obama's campaign, that when I see this
          face, of the future, I have to keep a box of kleenex,
          handy! Having lived through the turbulent 50's, 60's
          and 70's, when segregated New Orleans, was awash
          in racism, I can't believe I lived through it!

          I stand by what I posted and report that, I am convinced, that the
          Obama, phenomenon and all of the interracial kids, I watched grow
          up in my own parish, a parish, as international as the globe itself!

          I live in an area, that the anchor employer, is the US government,
          that had GI's married to foreign women, especially German women,
          that they met, whild stationed overseas, which is why I chose the
          workplace as a common area that like minds, have to interact.

          In my case it was telecommunications, where the same arena exists.
          Multi-nationals emigrate to the US to do research and development,
          meet and marry, other Americans, white, black and other!
          Work, equates, like minds, to forcibly meet, date, marry or
          not, but it is a great place, like church, to meet someone.

          In the halls of higher education, it's common for people majoring
          in the same studies, or not, to meet, marry, etc. 3 places, work,
          church and school, the 3 most common areas, that people come in
          contact with each other. 3 of the safest places on earth.

          I am almost 40 years married, don't know the secret, as people
          always ask me, yet online, I've been approached over and over
          as "are you available"? I either put them in my "block" list
          or ignore! I'm not adverse to discussing certain things, but
          I try never to get personal or be pressured into "meeting" anyone!

          I'm in a local group, as I live in a "small" city of under
          19,000, where you're bound to know one or more persons
          in any local group. That, doesn't bother me either!
          At a city council meeting, someone called my name
          and about 10 people turned their head to see who I was!
          At a break, 5 or 6 people came over to shake my
          hand, asked could they give me a hug, etc.
          I was flattered, have become close to some
          in my group and the rest? I don't care!

          Just be careful, with these online dating sites,
          because they are in business, to make money from
          YOU! "Caveat emptor", let the buyer, beware!

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21, 2008
            In regards to what you said about the best places to
            meet someone, I agree that church, schools, clubs,
            and even work (sometimes) are good places.

            And studies are now coming out showing that these internet
            relationships aren't all that they're cracked up to be.
            People should definitely be careful, but if they are
            going to use a dating site, they should do a bit of
            research and try to make an informed decision as to
            whether that particular site would suit their needs.

            From what I understand, E-Harmony focuses on matching
            people of the same racial/ethnic background.
            So if somebody is interested in dating people of
            other backgrounds, or if somebody is from a mixed
            background, E-Harmony might not be for them.
            I would certainly avoid that site if I were single.