the face of mixed-race antiracism?

  • Danielle Sigwalt
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2007
      Hi everyone!

      I'm thinking about starting a blog...

      I've been a little bit burnt out in terms of my mixed race activism this summer, and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to..rejuvenate my energy and excitement. As some of you might know, I've been all over the country this past year meeting people and going to conferences and what not, meeting all the right people, doing all the right things, but in doing so I've become very disenchanted with the face of mixed-race activism, in that I feel it isn't aligning itself with the anti-racist movement as effectively as it could. I'm kind of in love with the blogosphere, and I thought that this might be a good medium for the work-- what ever it becomes-- that I could pursue.

      So I'm thinking about starting a blog to more tangibly fuse the two movements. Ideally, the blog would be comprised of three to six regular contributors who write articles that pertain to mixed-race (including transracial adoptee) identity that present a critical analysis of the relationship of mixed-race identity to the anti-racist movement. People could focus on movies, tv, music, academia, fashion, literature, their day to day experiences, make up, marketing, classism, privilege... whatever they like, really.. as long as it's about mixed identity and furthers an anti-racist agenda.

      I would love it if the people involved in this project came from a wide variety of experiences in terms of class and educational backgrounds, ages, gender identities, geographic locations, etc.

      If any of you are interested in being a writer, or have experience with the blogosphere, please contact me with any thoughts you might have about this project.

      Also, if you know anyone who might be interested in this project, please please please forward this email to them.

      Yours,

      Danni Sigwalt
      aim: dsigwalt
      yahoo: dannigrl212
      gtalk/email: danielle.sigwalt at gmail dot com

      Thanks!